TivoHD Freezing When TV is Off

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Resist, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    So I've noticed a freezing issue on our TivoHD that happens every so often but only when the TV is off. This box is a warranty replacement for a box that had this same issue but a lot worse. I'm not sure if the issue is due to our TV or HDMI connection, I say this because sometimes the TV will lose the Tivo signal and if I reset the HDMI cable it works again. This last time, I noticed not seeing this box show up in our other Tivo's Now Playing list. I am beginning to wonder if the TivoHD is doing its normal restarts and somehow gets hung up or just doesn't play nice with the TV and HDMI.

I have not once had this issue with our other Series 2 or OLED Series 3 boxes and their respective TV's (of different brands/models).

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Have you tried another HDMI input, some TVs have these kind of issues with the primary HDMI, or even try component.

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    "normal restarts" ?? That only happens after it loses power or gets a software update, which isn't very often.

Try reseating the HDMI cable at both ends; try a different HDMI cable; to be sure, try component cables. It seems odd it only happens when the TV is off, but maybe it's a thermal effect. Or it could be a spurioius HDMI signal from your TV when it's turned off.

I'm running component cables because I had frequent TiVo reboots when using HDMI. Of course the TV can be a suspect for HDMI problems too. Using components is the best way to find out.

If it's on warranty you may have to try it with component cables anyway, just to prove the HDMI is the problem before they will take it back. BTW, be sure to disconnect the HDMI cable when you switch to component. You could still be getting signals back from the TV if you don't.

4. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I had thought about switching to component cables. I did try switching HDMI inputs on the TV but eventually the issue showed up again. The HDMI cables are a very high quality type. It's a Vizio LCD TV and haven't been very impressed with it. The Tivo box is not over heating.

I have seen threads where others have had HDMI caused issues, yet never heard of any component caused issues. But lets say I determine HDMI is the issue, is there an easy way to figure out if HDMI is the cause in the Tivo or the TV?

5. cappy

cappy New Member

Jan 17, 2010
    I'm having a similar issue.

Twice now (overnight) Tivo locked up.
    The screen is light gray. Had to power cycle.
    Started watching a recorded show, then Tivo rebooted itself.
    It happened while I was on Chat with Tivo tech support. I have to wait unti Sat to call tech support to process an exchange.

This box is a recent warranty replacement.
    My previous (original HD XL) did not have this issue.

I'll try the component video to see if that makes any difference.

6. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I'm not getting a light gray screen when it freezes. If I remember correctly that's a symptom of another issue.

What I get is that the programming just freezes and none of the Tivo control buttons work on the remote.

7. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Not that I'm aware of.

8. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Another possible workaround. Before you turn off the TV, put the TiVo in standby.

9. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Luckily the issue happens very infrequently, about as much as when it's wireless adapter can't find my home WiFi. But when both issues do happen, it's annoying.

10. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    For the benefit of future searchers, I've seen the gray screen happen on boot after the Welcome screen instead of the Just a few more minutes screen when there was a problem with the hard drive data or power cable not being fully and properly seated. (and if you're using a SATA/IDE adapter in an S1 or S2 you double your chances of intermittent or incomplete connections such as those)

I've also seen it when the hard drive had developed "issues", sometimes with the hard drive itself being at fault and sometimes with the TiVo software and partitions on the hard drive having somehow gotten scrambled.