TiVoHD -for std cable stop-gap?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by WebHobbit, Oct 16, 2007.

1. WebHobbit

WebHobbit Hairy Little Mutant

Jan 9, 2005
    Rockport, IN
    OK..so my S2 has a failing harddrive. (lock ups, etc.)

I was considering replacing the HD with a weaknees unit but the more I read about the change in 2008 over to all HD no analog content I wonder if that's wise?

I do not currently have an HD TV or HD channels or cable box for that matter. None of those extra channels appeal to me.

I see I can get a TivoHD for $238.00 from Amazon. Am I assuming correctly that these will work with the new standard in 2008? And it will output to a "non HD" TV via S-video/RCAs? And it also has the outputs for my eventual HDTV?

So if I get a TivoHD I won't have to fool with cablecards right now will I? I can just screw in my standard CATV coax as I am now, right?

And lastly if I buy this from Amazon will I still get my multi-service discount? Right now our main TiVo (the one with the dying HD) is 12.99 a month and the older one in our daughter's room is billed at 6.99.

Advise please.

2. MikeyB

MikeyB Distracted Member

Jan 7, 2005
    VA
    Yes on all questions. The THD will work with your S-Def TV and regular cable and you'll be ready for the switch to digital. You should also get your MSD since you'll still have more than one TiVo on your account. You do, however, have the switch date wrong. It's Feb. 17th 2009.

3. WebHobbit

Jan 9, 2005
    Rockport, IN
    Thanks a lot!

I knew it was sometime in 2009...I dunno why I typed 8.

Has anyone found a better deal than the Amazon price?

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    And that's only for OTA. The cable companies are required to keep broadcasting an analog version of the local digital channels until 2012.

5. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Yes but I can see them removing all but the locals far before that to reclaim bandwidth.
    IE go from 70 analog to maybe 10-15 at most. Thats a lot of bandwidth.

6. WebHobbit

Jan 9, 2005
    Rockport, IN
  7. MacBandit

MacBandit New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    The switch is to all digital, not to HD. Most shows will still be in standard def just as they are today. The FCC is just freeing up more frequency space by forcing the swicth from frequency hogging Analog to Digital. This way they can auction off the free space and make mucho buckos.

8. WebHobbit

Jan 9, 2005
    Rockport, IN
    Good point. But it still means my S2 will be a door stop in not too many years.

9. MikeyB

MikeyB Distracted Member

Jan 7, 2005
    VA
    Quite, true. Most people don't understand the difference and assume all digital is HD. It's not as if the D/A converters will be downsampling all content to SD as some (most) of it may still be in SD.

10. MacBandit

MacBandit New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Not necessarily Congress has allocated $50 for everyone who needs a Digital to Analog converter. Also you can buy a D/A converter yourself and still use the S2 or you could pay the minimum fee for digital cable and still use the S2. The S2 will still record video like any VCR will but with the added benefit of the Tivo guide for scheduling and IR blaster for controlling your external device.

Also I wouldn't forsake your S2 you could just buy a preformatted drive from Weaknees and fix it for pretty cheap.

11. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I just upgraded an S2 to a TivoHD and when I looked at Ebay to get rid of the S2, it looks like they are going for next to nothing.

I think that reflects the future value.

12. oldnacl

oldnacl New Member

Mar 23, 2007
    Yeah, today Amazon is selling a DT S2 for 99.00 if you buy a 100.00 service coupon and if you buy both you get 100 rebate. Free TiVo. And to think I paid 118 for a used DT just a couple months ago. Talk about missing the boat!

13. MacBandit

MacBandit New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Dollar value doesn't necessarily reflect actual usefulness. There usefulness will be no less in the future than they were in the past.