TivoHD Drive Failed, ddrescue'd but still boot loops

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by clstone, Apr 11, 2015.

1. clstone

clstone New Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Philadelphia...
    Hi all, any ideas on what I can try next to recover recorded shows...

2008 TivoHD TCD652160 with lifetime service. Upgraded internal drive years ago to Samsung 1TB (HD103UJ).

Returned from vacation to find unit hung at boot. Re-powering gets to 'Almost there..' then reboots.

Kickstart 54 showed drive errors.

Used WinMFS to 'backup Tivo drive' without recordings.

Used ddrescue to clone drive to identical Samsung 1tb. Still had boot loop with cloned drive.

Power supply shows a couple caps bulging a little.

Bought a used 652160 on Amazon and swapped PS. Problem continued.

Swapped drives. The Amazon oem drive booted in both machines with both power supplies, so problem is definitely my drive image. (Not PS or mobo)

Restored WinMFS backup to a spare 320GB drive. This resulted in same boot-loop problem. Kickstart 54,57,58 did not fix.

Installed the spare OEM drive, Clear and Delete Everything, Guided Setup and had Verizon re-pair the cable cards. Tivo now working. Will later clone to a larger drive.

But, I still want to retrieve programs from my bad disk...which include broadcasts of our son at state high school track & field championships, etc.

Any ideas? I could...

Retry ddrescue
    Try WinMFS Copy
    Try dd_rescue

Searching for other ways to extract just the recordings, without booting the drive, has not been fruitful.

Thanks in advance
    Charlie

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Those shows are most likely lost. Which shows that Tivo is not the best device for long term storage.

3. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    An eBay seller DVR_DUDE told me he could rescue recordings, for a fee... I don't know how and as you, I was unable to find any info for rescuing recordings on the inter web.
    I bought DVR_DUDE's 2tb internal upgrade drive, but chose not to pay him for recording rescue. Turn around time & money were my main issues with the recovery process.

His upgrade drives are not cheap, but they are plug & play.

Also, please include city & state info in your profile.

4. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    I have been using Tivos and supporting local Tivo users almost as long as there have been Tivos. If I see one of my users is keeping shows on the Tivo for more than a month I get antsy. The shows IMMEDIATELY belong on a home network hard drive, which is in turn backed up by normal means. With pyTivo, having your library on hard disk is just as convenient as being Tivo-resident, and lots easier to manage.

The shows can be recovered (at least some), easier if the Tivo is hacked. But unless someone has developed or accumulated the software tools and some auto-scripted processes over the years it is a monumental undertaking. There are probably still old threads in the other place. I think back in the day I went through the process once, just as an exercise, and it took days of pain and false starts. If the Tivo is not hacked you also have to deal with the encryption. I'm sure some individuals have developed shortcuts, or processes to surgically replace portions of the OS while leaving the pieces of the recordings intact, but no one's talking publicly or privately about such capabilities.

5. clstone

clstone New Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Philadelphia...
    Thanks to all. Profile updated. As noted, there are no clear/relatively easy & pain free/free ways to copy/move recorded content tagged to a given Tivo to a new replacement drive from that same Tivo.

So, here's where I am:

1) Have "Charlie's" TivoHD working with 1TB drive, clean and no-recordings. Have a WinMFS backup of this, plus BU of kernel and boot partition.

2) Have bad drive, 1TB, mated to "Charlie's" TivoHD, won't boot, lots of recorded shows (sadly, not backed up...Wil's reprimand justified and accepted).

3) Have 320GB WinMFS restore of the bad 1TB (to experiment with), no recordings. Won't boot.

I just tried using WinMFS to back up boot and kernel partitions from 'good' drive and restore to 'bad' 320gb drive. Still won't boot.

Next I am going to use WinMFS to Fix bootpage option 1 and 2 and once again try various kickstart 58/52/etc on the 'bad' 320gb drive.

(Happily, I have the 2nd TivoHD from Amazon to experiment with and see if it will at least boot.)

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Take the second Samsung (which is a "Xerox" of the one you had in the TiVo, if I understand you), hook to PC, open WinMFS, and see what

mfsinfo

has to say.

You can save it as a text file and paste it here.

7. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    With bad caps, which you clearly have, you are not providing good voltage to whatever drive you are using. I would fix that first, IMO.

8. clstone

clstone New Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Philadelphia...
    Thanks to all. Update: Last night, I was not able to make any combination of WinMFS restore partition/kernel (from working drive), Fix Boot Bootpage and Kickstart 57/58/52 make the 320GB WinMFS restored drive bootable. The problem must be with the contents of some of the Tivo partitions, but I can't find a simple way to selectively restore just the OS partitions.

jrtroo: I agree and did swap the PS from the Amazon unit to my Tivo which is up and running. (The Amazon disc drive would boot ok in both units and with both PS, which led me to conclude the problem is my drive).

unitron: As I recall, ddrescue found 5 error sectors with 98K error bytes.
    I am attaching a .txt with for the cloned Samsung and also a pdf showing a comparison of the 'bad' to 'fixed' samsungs.

Comparing bad vs fixed: the partition maps are exactly the same. The Zone maps show the checksum and logstamps changed on all Zones and free space changed on a few.

FWIW, the 'ddrescued' Samsung is now re-imaged and WinFMS added and 'in production' in the Tivo (without the recordings, of course). So I am re-running ddrescue now to clone/repair to a Toshiba 1TB drive. It will take a few more hours.
    Thanks in advance for looking at this for me.

Note: I never ran any low level disk repair on the original or cloned drives. Samsung's HDUTIL will not function in Windows 7. PLus, I didn't want to make any un-reversable changes to the 'bad' drive. I figured ddrescue would handle repairs on the cloned drive.

Attached Files:

9. clstone

clstone New Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Philadelphia...
    Update: I cloned the original bad drive to the a Toshiba using ddrescue. There were 5 errors on a net of about 17K bytes. Ran WinMFS mfsinfo on both and the output is identical. Put the Toshiba into the spare TivoHD...it boot looped. Ran KS58...it still boot looped.

I am out of ideas that don't involve a month or more of Linux learning and experimentation.

10. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Make NO changes on the original drive, do all experimentation on "Xeroxes".

That mfsinfo can read the Xerox is a good sign.

The Ultimate Boot cd has drive utilities for many brands and can launch Parted Magic which has the GSmart utility which can long test drives as well.

This would be a whole lot easier if you lived next door.

11. clstone

clstone New Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Philadelphia...
    Unitron: Thanks...I will get that Ultimate Boot CD and run some checks. I may have been 'next door' at some point. FWIW, my Tivo died when I was down in Southport/Oak Island...we came back up on I40 the up to Goldsboro (my wife had to have Starbucks), then Nahunta for some country ham and sausage then, Parkers in Wilson.

I am very grateful to all who have offered help and suggestions, including unitron, nooneuknow, jrtroo, Wil, and Teeps. It is looking like ThAbtO first commented: the programs are likely lost. There is only slim hope, yet hope remains.

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Well, obviously the TiVo is punishing you for not swinging by my place and dropping off some seafood and (Eastern NC vinegar-based sauce) BBQ.

:D