TivoHD: Attempting to "Read New Messages" causes reboot

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Pixel&Bits, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Pixel&Bits

Pixel&Bits New Member

Nov 19, 2008
    I have a factory-renewed TiVoHD I just purchased about a week ago direct from Tivo. Things have been working great up until last night.

When I attempted to select "Read New Messages" under the settings screen, the unit becomes unresponsive for about 10 seconds. Then, the background animation freezes for a moment, and the TiVo spontaneously reboots.

The Read New Messages function worked fine previously, and I had scheduled recordings through both TiVo Online and on the TiVo box.

I have run Kickstart 57 and 58 already, but it hasn't made a difference.

However, after one of the reboots, I was able to get to the "Messages" option before it changed to "Read New Messages" (I'm guessing the Messages text changes to Read New Messages once the TiVo system realizes there are new messages waiting). At this screen, I got an error indicating that the data could not be read, followed by an Error 126.

I was able to exit the screen this time. Shortly after, the "Messages" option changed to "Read New Messages". Again, selecting "Read New Messages" causes the lock-up and spontaneous reboot.

I also tried the option of deleting Tivo Suggestions and Thumb ratings. This also caused the Tivo to freeze and reboot. However, upon start-up it looked as though the Tivo Suggestions and Thumb ratings were successfully cleared. Unfortunately it did not solve my main issue.

I also tried forcing a network connection to the TiVo service. This did not resolve the issue.

My next step is to select the option to "Clear Everything" but I'd like to see if there is anything else I can do before this last resort.

All other functions on the TiVo, such as recording and playback work fine. Prior to this week, I had always been able to read my TiVo messages.

Any input would be great!

2. dkh7m

dkh7m New Member

Jun 23, 2006
    my new (read: refurb) TiVo HD was randomly rebooting and freezing up when i tried to access the Rhapsody 30 day free trial. i did several (four or five) forced connections + reboots and eventually it got all the software updates. been working like a dream ever since. don't know if it'll work for you (sounds like you've done a few forced connections already), but you may have to just try a few more.

3. Pixel&Bits

Pixel&Bits New Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Thanks for your reply, dkh7m.

I ended up running the kickstart which runs the hard drive diagnostics. All tests passed.

It was only when I went to "Clear program information & To Do List" did the problem go away. It deleted all of my TiVo messages, but unfortunately also purged all of my Season Passes.

So, I went back to re-entering my season passes, both through the TiVo set-top and a few through online scheduling. Things worked fine for about a week. Then I scheduled more shows via online scheduling -- I would say about 8-10 shows in that particular session. About an hour later when I tried to access "Read New Messages" the same freeze and reboot would happen.

The TiVoHD is not hacked and I'm not using any unsupported method of scheduling programs. What is causing my Message Inbox to freeze up? I have a second Tivo (an 80-hour Dual Tuner) which has never had any problems with the Message Inbox freezing, ever -- and I schedule programs on it via Online Scheduling all the time.

Now I'm going to have to Clear Program Info all over again -- but I'd like to see what I can do to prevent this freeze up from happening in the future.

4. YoungGemini

YoungGemini Geek

Jan 11, 2007
    I'm now having this issue, last week I added a huge number of season passes to my Tivo HD in preparation for my new Tivo that should be arriving next week.

Tonight I just went to go through all the messages and it started rebooting.

My Tivo HD has been in use since Oct 2007 and all issues I've had w/ it have been known bugs in various updates that have come out.

Does anyone know of a bug w/ having too many unread messages?