TiVoHD and the new 2 way Cable Cards?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by MitchW, Jul 26, 2007.

1. MitchW

MitchW New Member

Jun 4, 2002

Advertisements

I was just delivered by Charter a new SA8300HDC which uses a 2 way Cable Card. Can the new TiVoHD use this new 2 way cable card? This card also allows one to progam the box to pass through 1080i, 730p, 480p, 480i all WIDESCREEN. Thus, all broadcasts now automatically occupy the 16 by 9 format without any distortion even from non-HDTV channels.

It was so new that the tech they sent was unable to set it up for me. I had to call the Charter office and get someone to guide me through the setup. It took me 2 hours. The office had informed me that they were legally obligated to use these new cable cards since July 1, 2007.

It allows one to receive VOD, PPV and SD broadcasts. When it was installed, I had to give the Charter Tech at the office the serial number of my Cable Box AND the serial number of the installed Cable Card.

If TiVoHD can use this, it becomes just as flexible as the SA8300HDC with all the added on TiVo benefits.

2. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    TiVoHD will not support VOD or PPV

3. Leo_N

Leo_N Lucky 200 member

Nov 12, 2003
    Wisconsin, USA
    It most likely is not using the cable card in a 2-way manner, it probably also has the regular DOCSIS modem inside like all other 2-way cable boxes do and is still only using the cable card as the decryption key.

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes, most likely it has an M-card in it (to support 2 streams at a time that is needed) and all the 2-way communications are done the same way as the previous box. The only FCC requirement for new boxes was the removable security component (i.e. decryption capability). This is the case for the Moto DCH series of boxes that are also being deployed recently.

5. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...

Advertisements

The new cards can support multiple streams. All cablecards can support two-way communication. It's the host (the TiVo, in this case), that cannot, due to licensing obstructions from the cable companies. All the M-card gives is the ability to support both tuners with one card, and avoid the "second cablecard" charge from the cable company.

6. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    yep. important to note that this "2 way" would only work with your cable company and not a different cable company. TiVo and all the other CE makers need a standard they know all cable companies will use so the device can be sold anywhere

7. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    *ALL* CableCARDs are two-way capable. But it is the host device that determines if the upstream communication is possible.

Neither the S3 nor the HD support this.

That has nothing at all to do with the CableCARD. CableCARDs are simply decryption tokens. Display options like this are determined by the host device. And the S3 and HD have multiple display settings for different types of content and displays.

The S3 and HD can display 4:3 content on a 16:9 display in different ways - such as stretching it to fit the display, or pillarboxing it (bars on the sides).

If your cable box is filling a 16:9 display with 4:3 content then it IS distorting it - it is probably stretching the image horizontally. It is often imperceptible but if there are geometric shapes on screen, like a circle, you can spot it. Circles become ovals, for example.

The office is confused. There are no 'new cable cards'. There are S-Cards and M-Cards. M-Cards have been rolling out slowly and continue to roll out. That's probably what your MSO is using - but they are not required to do so. S-Cards are still perfectly valid. M-Cards simply enable up to 6-tuners on one card, as opposed to just one on an S-Card.

Cable companies are legally required to use CableCARDs as of July 1, 2007 - unless they got a waiver - but there is no new card to go with that mandate.

Again, *ALL* CableCARDs are capable of this. It is the host device that determines the functionality. The TiVos handle SD and HD content, but they do not support VOD, PPV, or SDV at this time - though a solution is supposedly being worked on according to both TiVo and the cable industry.

That's normal - it is required for pairing them.