TivoHD and Charter install issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by paslax, Sep 11, 2007.

1. paslax

paslax Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Madison, WI

Advertisements

I'm in Madison, WI and have a tech who is working to install. I am getting all of the basic (ABC/CBS/etc) and HD basic (ABC-HD/etc) channels, but none of the other channels.

Does this indicate that the cable card is working correctly but the programming on the account is not set up right?

2. paslax

paslax Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Madison, WI
  3. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    What does the CableCard Menu/Conditional Access screen say? The auth should say SUBSCRIBED (check both cards). Also, make sure you are subscribed to the HD Tier (I think they changed the name to something else) so you can get TNT HD, ESPN HD, etc.

4. pparadis2

pparadis2 New Member

May 10, 2004
    I've been fighting this battle with charter for months. I can't seem to get a rep that knows how to properly authorize the cards. They keep saying they can refresh or send out a tech. Neither option works. Frustrating that I can't watch most of the channels that I'm paying for!

5. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...

Advertisements

Call TiVo and ask for their Cablecard support department...once you got them you can then call Charter and do a 3 way call...Tivo Cable Card support tmay know the right "Charter" words to use the CSRs and they certainly are there to walk through situations like this.

6. paslax

paslax Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Madison, WI
    I've gotten the 161-4 "good errors" a few times, but the Conditional Access screen still says NOT_SUBSCRIBED. I have another tech coming out on Thursday night. Hopefully this one will be more knowledgeable. I like the idea of a 3-way call with TiVo.

7. paslax

paslax Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Madison, WI
    Oh yea - the guy shows up with an "MCard", as specified in the installation notes that I gave to Charter after the sales rep I spoke with reads me this whole thing about how multi-stream CCs are now available. (Actually, he showed up with two, so that was good.) Turns out, he thinks that the M-Card is the Motorola single-stream CC. Like I said, at least he brought two - although neither work.

8. Rosenkavalier

Rosenkavalier Call 1-600-DOCTORB!

Nov 9, 2001
    D/FW area,...
    All of these posts (along with the ones over on the huge "Charter/Series 3" thread) are the reason why I'm sitting here tonight and fuming about something that is, on balance, a good thing. Charter is converting our market (and all other North Texas markets) to 100% Digital (removing all analog channels except true locals, for 'lifeline' service).

This is, on balance, good - recording SD channels digitally is better in terms of quality than going through the TiVo's MPEG2 encoder after the analog signal's been degraded between the cable head-end and here. My problem is how Charter has handled this.

I've been patiently, then impatiently, waiting for two years for Charter to bring up HD service in this market. Every time I would ask - as recently as two weeks ago - the same answer: we don't know anything, nothing is planned in the near future, it's coming sometime soon. Then, I get home tonight to find a message on my answering machine, informing me of this (standard-def) digital switchover...to happen seven days from now. (They still haven't formally announced when HD is going in, although this conversion is almost certainly the first step in that process.)

So even though I was in their office two weeks ago, there wasn't any mention of this, nor were there any notices or handouts. There was no mention of this in last month's bill. And there certainly wasn't a "recent letter" referred to in the answering machine message.

Because this is happening in one week's time, there's just no way I could possibly go out and get a TiVo HD, set up the CableCard appointment, and trust that it would work correctly the first time -- and even if it did, the appointment would be for after the system changeover.

Final result: I'm going to end up renting the Charter DVR for at least a month or so while I figure out my options. Our apartment complex may finally be in position for a Verizon FiOS system install, to include FiOS TV. If that ever comes available, I'll carry any remaining Charter equipment to the local office and laugh like an escaped lunatic as I walk out the door.

9. paslax

paslax Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Madison, WI
    I'm happy to report that Charter got the Cable Cards working on the second install attempt.

1. I had them install a regular old HD receiver first and get all of the channels working - if nothing else, this verified that the correct tiers of service were set up on my account.

2. They really push to install CC #2 before #1 is working correctly. I really had to push hard to prevent that from happening.

3. The installer did not have any cable cards or HD receivers, only Moxi boxes in his truck. Luckily, another tech was in the area and he had a well-stocked truck and delivered both within 20 minutes.

4. If you ever have the power to do so, request Jason (Charter Madison Tech #241).
    He was the tech who delivered the devices and was nice enough to hang around and ensure that everything went smoothly. He was more knowledgeable of cable cards than the guy assinged to me and understood that CC installs in TiVos require patience. Also, the guy on the other end of the line at dispatch was very helpful and most importantly, very particular about echoing ALL of the s/n, host, and data numbers back to us.

5. I read the TiVo support document on troubleshooting cable card installs. There is a section with screenshots of the conditional access screen that proved to be very helpful. The guy on the phone at dispatch was thrilled when I told him that the cards "appear to be paired correctly, but the authorization status is still unknown". He knew what to do from there.

I love it. Love the HD, love the TiVo - really love the combination of the two! I'm not sure how much more Charter BS I could have taken, but what I endured has proven to be worth it.

10. welchomatic

welchomatic New Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Atlanta,...
    I must have slipped through the cracks. I called Charter last night (Sunday). Talked to a representative, asking to take my converter box away and replace it with an Mcard for my Tivo. I also wanted to add HD channels to my line up.
    The representative had to get her supervisor on the phone. I have to hold onto my box until my contract expires, and she said I would have to settle for two Scards. I reluctantly agreed.
    The tech came over today, nervous about his first installation of a card. He said he'd been studying up on this for three months and was concerned. He pulled a half dozen Mcards (yay!) out of his pocket, all still in the case. I handed him the instructions that came with the Tivo. He didn't know to take the cards out of the case, but we worked through that.
    The Tivo menu made installation a breeze. One phone call and a five minute wait later, I was recording TWO channels in the extended tier at the same time.
    The tech started unwrapping a second Mcard, but I stopped him.

The installation, despite the cable company not knowing what they had, went smoothly. The only thing I don't seem to be getting now is TLCHD. The Stacy Clinton Channel (gawd I hate that show, and it's on ALL THE TIME)