TiVoDesktop breaks with shortcut in My Tivo Recordings

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by dachtler, Nov 28, 2007.

1. dachtler

dachtler New Member

Oct 21, 2002

Advertisements

I just discovered the root cause of a problem I've had with the Tivo Desktop software since I upgraded to 2.5. I had placed a shortcut to My Videos in the My TiVo Recordings folder, with the theory that I could then watch the videos in that folder without having to move them to the TiVo folder. With the shortcut in place, the Tivo Desktop software won't start, and gives a non-descript "Internal Error" dialog. If I remove the shortcut, the Tivo Desktop software starts fine.

Just wanted to pass this on in case anyone else might run into this problem. It would be nice if Tivo Desktop could support shortcuts in the future.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They do support shortcuts. In fact I have a shortcut in my My TiVo Recordings folder right now and it works fine. It's more likely that there is a file in your My Videos folder that the desktop software doesn't like. Try placing shortcuts to the individual files into the My TiVo Recordings folder one by one until you find the problem file. Then simply move it out of My Videos and you should be fine.

Dan

3. dachtler

dachtler New Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Of course, you're right. I've tried individual links to some files, and they work fine. I'll sort through the folder at some point, but there are a LOT of video files in there to go through.

4. jdccroad

jdccroad New Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Do you have to have TiVo Desktop Plus for the shortcut folders to work?

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

No. You only need TD+ for it to recognize files other then .tivo and .mpg

Dan