Tivodesktop 2.8.3 "unable to link to your account"

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by mystic1muse, Aug 17, 2016.

1. mystic1muse

mystic1muse New Member

Jun 13, 2015
    I'm running Windows 10.

Tivo Deskto was working fine under Windows 10 until about a week ago then found it was no longer linking to account and all attempts to link give error message ""unable to link to your account" even though I can use the same email/password to log on to the Tivo site. I can also successfully transfer video to the Tivo using Pytivo which uses the same data MAK/email/password that Tivo Desktop uses.

I've tried a dozen or more times over several days to make it link. I've uninstalled and reinstalled a few times including run of tivodesktop cleaner, reboot Windows, rebooted Tivo etc. I've read every post I could find here and elsewhere on the issue with no answers that worked.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It has been posted on the help thread that if you enter your email address as UPPERCASE@domain it will link. It doesn't work for me.

3. mystic1muse

mystic1muse New Member

Jun 13, 2015
    "It has been posted on the help thread that if you enter your email address as UPPERCASE@domain it will link. It doesn't work for me."

Wow! I didn't think it would work but decided to give it a try. Actually the form you quoted above UPPERCASE@domain did not work BUT putting the whole thing in caps like this: UPPERCASE@DOMAIN did work for me.

Thanks Again, the programmer that, no doubt unwittingly, placed that limit in the code must have been smoking something strong.

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm glad that worked. Still not working for me. Maybe I'll try an all uppercase password.

5. mystic1muse

mystic1muse New Member

Jun 13, 2015
    Did you try with both domain and name in all caps?

Also, someone suggested that log on problems can occur with special characters are in the password. You might try a different password setup.

6. W7SJK

W7SJK New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    San Diego
    All caps worked for me. Thanks!

7. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    Well, that is pretty arrogant of TiVo. :mad:

We're just gonna disable that piece of software we sold you without any notice, like a "sorry" email, and tough.

So I guess no more push to the TiVo from the computer using Desktop Plus, huh? Guess I'll go see if pull still works, or it's all dead.

No combination of upper/lower case worked for me. They must have disabled that now.

Really annoying.

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    There are alternatives that are more powerful, well supported, and much more complicated.

I can't get in either. Case changes don't help. But the only reason I started using it was to save special programs. Now I have a retired Premiere for that.

9. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    Yeah, I know. It's the "much more complicated" part that annoys me the most.

I've got pyTivo installed, and have played with it a few times but found it annoyingly geeky. And that comment comes from an annoying geek who gets into the minutiae.

And "well supported" is not very comforting when TiVo can disable the "reach-around push" function any time they feel like it. Like they just did with Desktop Plus.

TiVo user for well over a decade (Series 1, 2, 3, DirecTiVo, Roamio+Minis) but based on events the last few months, I'm no longer planning on putting a bigger drive in my lifetime Roamio, nor am I adding any more Minis (much as I'd like to). The service has gone from reliably stable to volatile and unpredictable. Who knows what the upcoming merger will bring next?

10. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If you think pyTivo is "annoyingly geeky", them I think you vastly overrate your own geekiness.

The didn't "disable" push, even for TD+. Maybe they plan to, but as of right now, there is merely something odd going on with the servers.

In any case, I know why pull is not a viable alternative for me for one of my TiVos (it's remote). Why is it not an alternative for you?

My biggest issue is that I have a large collection of recordings on an NAS with Gracenote metadata that will now have screwy data when transferred back to the TiVo.

I'm hoping that when all of the dust settles, there will be a way to make one of the metadata creation programs work again, but I have my doubts.

11. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    That is false. From an online response here on tivocommunity from TiVo's Ira Bahr 11 days ago: "The PC transfer is no longer a supported feature on our platform."

No longer supported. I'd call that "disabled", the end of it. You may interpret that as you wish.

Without being able to connect to TiVo's servers to tie Desktop Plus to my TiVo account, the Desktop Plus server won't start. Without the Desktop Plus Server running, the TiVo can't see the video, audio, or image files on the computer to pull them, and Desktop Plus can't push them to the TiVo. Not exactly that "Unified Entertainment System" the TiVo website brags about. Since I have never had an interest in getting files from the TiVo onto my computer, this for me is the end of Desktop Plus functionality.

There is nothing to say they won't stop pytivo working in a week or two, since "the PC transfer is no longer a supported feature on our platform.". That seems more likely than not, based on Bahr's statement. So what some of us are left with is Plex on TiVo, which from all I've read here is not very good. Plex is fine, it's TiVo's version that is poorly implemented.

Time to see what Roku or Amazon Fire looks like when playing my computer's content.

12. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    And I thought I was a pessimist. Maybe you're right but "not supported" != "disabled". They'd have to disable it in the TiVo s/w. I've actually had the fear that they might do that very thing.

It's been years since they were actively supporting TD and transfers still work. If the current problem with pushes was actually them shutting it off, why not just do it? Maybe they're trying to find out who will complain, so why don't you complain to TiVo rather than just uselessly venting your ire here and saying I'm wrong about something when in fact you have no idea what is really going on.

There are things that never were supported but still work fine. 30 second skip for one.

I've never used TD+ but regular TD works just fine w/o contacting the servers and I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a way to get TD+ to do the same.

13. oscarfish

oscarfish Member

Mar 1, 2009
    This has got to be one of craziest types of failures I've seen. Unless it magically started working based on a change on the server side that just happen to be made at the right time between my failed attempts, then the working permuation is

JOHN.SMITH@GMAIL.com

I tried all lower case, I tried all upper case, I tried just the first part upper with the last part lower. But the above is what worked, and I don't want to undo it to experiment to prove to myself what works and what doesn't work.

14. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    That's what TiVo support is suggesting (for now) on their site, but it does not work for me. I added my post to the people complaining about it.

I did get the Desktop server running again after doing a complete wipe and reinstall of Desktop, but still can't link to their server, so can't 'publish' content to my Roamio. At least I can now see the computer from it and pull footage.

TiVo support says they're looking for a fix, but I'd be surprised, based on Ira Bahr's statement that this sort of function will no longer be supported, if they find one.

15. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Ira said that the program is no longer supported for some (unspecified) reason, and left vague the question of whether the function would eventually be replaced. TiVos still "support" accessing content through a builtin webserver; at least "support" in the sense that it still works.

16. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Really? Just the program?

Lot's of unsupported things still work, even some that were never supported. There's just no guarantee that they will continue to work in the future.

17. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=10970111#post10970111

"PC transfer is no longer a supported feature on our platform"

Seems not vague, in fact very clear to me. I don't know how he could have been more direct.

Whether it continues working is up in the air, but my experience has been that features no longer supported rarely get fixed if they break.

18. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    "the PC transfer..."

Which in context I took to refer to specific program which does the transfer. But I can see how it could be interpreted otherwise. Not knowing why they were compelled to remove support, I don't think a firm conclusion can be drawn. You are of course free to draw a different conclusion.

19. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    TD doesn't run on the TiVo, so it cannot be what he referred to as a "feature on our platform".