TIVOCAST is useless!!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Q2112, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Q2112

Q2112 New Member

Sep 12, 2006

Advertisements

After trying TIVO CAST and talking to TIVO support for 45 minutes. I have realized TIVO Cast is useless.

I have not been able to get any Casts to download to my TIVO. TIVO Support said it "could" be because I don't have enough room on my TIVO but they weren't sure and they could not give me any way to find out if there is enough room, without deleting what I have on my TIVO one show at a time and then try the downloads.

Even though I have tried several times to download shows with TIVO CAST .....there is no way for me to view what I tried to download (No history) and no error messages that say why the shows did not download!!! If there is not enough room then why doesn't it tell me that!!!

TIVO Support said the Casts are the lowest priority.....and the user cannot change the priority!!!! ARGH

Terrible, terrible implementation of what could be a good feature!!!

2. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    What model Tivo do you have? Any upgrades?
    How many shows do you have recorded?
    Do you have Suggestions turned on? Anything in that folder?
    Anything in the Recently Deleted folder?
    Are you connected via Broadband? Wirelessly?

3. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    I don't believe the TiVoCast option would even appear for someone not doing updates through broadband.

Is there anything you can clear off Now Playing to see if it is a case of the HdD being too full? Something from the end of the Season that will be repeated this Summer? As jrm01 suggested, if you have Suggestions turned on and you're not getting any, that's a pretty sure sign your HdD is full.

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Go to 'Find Programs' in the 'Tivo Central' menu.
    Then go to the 'To Do List'.
    There you will find 'View Recording History'.
    If your Tivo tried to download a TivoCast and failed, it will say why there.
    If there are no entries for TivoCast, then you have deeper problems.

5. Q2112

Q2112 New Member

Sep 12, 2006

Advertisements

Thanks for the response but there is no information in the Recording History on the TIVOCASTs I tried to download. TIVO support wasn't sure if there should be anything in the Recording History for TIVOCASTS.

Do you get messages in the Recording History for downloads that do no work?

6. Q2112

Q2112 New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    I have a 40 Hour Series 2 and am connected wirelessly to my TIVO.

I have not turned on Suggestions but I will give that a try and let you know how that works.

TIVO Support was able to see an error message from when I tried to download Casts. They said it was a disk conflict error. One big problem is I do not see any errors......nothing in the history. So how is a user supposed to debug a problem if the user doesn't get any messages

7. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yes. For example, right now I have entries for Rocketboom and Break.com.
    Both say they were "not downloaded".
    When I select one of these entries, the next page further explains that "this program was not downloaded to this DVR because the download rate was too slow".
    The Recording History also shows TivoCasts that have been deleted from the Now Playing List.

8. PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Is your daily connection to Tivo working to get guide data? Also, make sure your Season Passes and upcoming single recordings are set to Keep Until Space Needed. Tivo counts the next 2-3 days of the To Do List in the available space calculations so this might be the problem.

9. Q2112

Q2112 New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    I have a TIVO series 2 and I have now wired it instead of wireless. I have TIVO software version 8.3-01-2-540 with 10 hours of shows on the 40 hour disk. What version do you have?

My daily connections are working fine.

Are the TIVO casts supposed to start imediately or are they scheduled? I do not get any messages in my recording history.

Thanks

10. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    I can't speak for all the TiVoCasts since I only did the C|net when I had my standalone S2 TiVo, but that was usually downloaded on Friday or later in the weekend.

11. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    TivoCasts are scheduled, and if you have a 'season pass' for one, it should download automatically.
    You can also go directly into a TivoCast and request to download a past episode. When you do this, the downloads usually start within the hour (I've had them start within 5 minutes before).
    I, for one, can say that TivoCasts are not consistant. I subscribe to several of them and there was one week where I only recieved 1 Rocketboom (they usually produce at least 3 a week) and nothing else.
    Most of my problems have been due to the download rate being to slow, or the website not being found.

If you are getting nothing in your recording history, then it would seem that your Tivo isn't even trying to download.

Go to your Tivo.com account and make sure you have checked the box to allow transfers. I know this is a requirement for TivoToGo but not sure for TivoCasts.