Tivo4UK Petition

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by bixbarton, Feb 17, 2009.

1. bixbarton

bixbarton New Member

Jan 2, 2004

Advertisements

Hi Guys

I've started up a petition to try and persuade TiVo to look at returning to the UK with a Freeview version of their Australian TiVo box.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/TiVo4UK

As you doubtless know, the Ozzie box is a twin-tuner Freeview PVR.

[​IMG]

Also uses broadband to download EPG rather than over-the-air, and also can download movies, shopping, etc.

TiVo Australia

Please consider adding your name to the list, this would be a truly brilliant product to come to the UK, and TiVo have been missing for far too long!
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/TiVo4UK

Bix
    http://media-itch.blogspot.com

2. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Pointless and useless, but signed anyway :) (My comment didn't show up though :confused:

3. bixbarton

bixbarton New Member

Jan 2, 2004
    I'm staying positive Carl...

Positive thoughts

Give us new TiVo
    Give us new TiVo
    Give us new TiVo

4. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Anyone tried one over here yet? See if first stage works...channel scan.

An aussie colleague was supposed to be bringing one for me to play with, but cancelled his trip today :(

5. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...

Advertisements

I think we all very much hope your Aussie colleague will reinstate his planned trip over here some time soon and eagerly await your report on this Aussie HD Tivo once you have had a chance to play with it and/or try to force it to work in the UK.;)

Unless of course blindlemon manages to get his hands on an Aussie Tivo before you do.;):p

6. BrianHughes

BrianHughes Regurgitated user

Jan 21, 2001
    N.Ireland
    Signed - worth a go anyway.

I'd be very interested to know if an Aussie Tivo would do anything here.

7. gyre

gyre Wookie

Nov 22, 2003
    Bristol, UK
    Signed. Just what I'm looking for.

-- gyre --

8. woody

woody New Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Somerset. UK
    I've recently retired my tivo for a freeview PVR, mainly because of the twin tunner, but really do miss the functions of tivo. I'd buy a new freeview twin tuner tivo, phone line update or over the air would be fine.

9. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Surely it would be much easier to stick with the Tivo and just pick up the odd recording clash from BBC Iplayer or 4OD etc.

Or am I not allowing for a family household where somebody wants to watch something live that is different from the program that is recording? In which case give the Tivo its own Freeview box and hook up a different one to the tv for live viewing.

10. britcub

britcub Bear with a TiVo

Jan 19, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    More satisfying to run a second TiVo, environmental concerns aside!

11. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    For once britcub I find myself in agreement with you.:eek::p

12. royfox

royfox New Member

Apr 5, 2004
    Signed and commented..
    Roy

13. dvdfever

dvdfever Member

Jun 2, 2002
    My town
    I signed and tried to comment (I was trying to add "I've used TiVo ever since it began in the UK and I love it. It pees all over any other PVR ever made and I'd love to see it hit the big-time in the UK again!" and no comment's shown up! Is it because I didn't add a donation to Ipetitions?), and to cap it all it's added the vote twice. Oh well.

I have no environmental concerns. I didn't care five years ago before the government thought up a way to tax us to the hilt for no return, and I don't care now. And neither do they, even though they pretend to.

14. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    The recent push for low energy light bulbs is largely due to New Labour's repeated failure to invest in the power network which means that there will start to be rolling power cuts in a year or two if things like light bulb power use do not go down to offset the greater power consumption from things like LCD/Plasma widescreens, more and more dishwashers and of course PVRs.

Its pretty obvious that sea levels have changed vastly in the past and everyone has coped but mankind has now adopted a lifestyle with numerous large cities by the water's edge that is completely incompatible with such radical change.

The main worry they have is not really about the icecaps melting and us all being flooded but about oil running out eventually and there being no affordable replacement. All the global warming stuff is designed to make the world's oil reserves last longer as the world's economy could completely implode when we run out of oil.

15. bixbarton

bixbarton New Member

Jan 2, 2004
    To be honest it doesn't matter whether it's Labour or Conservative. They always make mistakes. Take the sub-prime problem. Thatcher started it all off by allowing people to buy their council houses. Labour compounded this by restricting council's money to repair council houses, so that the councils then sold them off to housing associations. Last year 1.8m council houses transferred into housing association control.

There is a direct correlation between availability of council housing and private property prices. If the number of council houses drops, the private property prices rise. There are 442 councils in the UK, last year 300 new councils houses were built. Not per council, total!

With not enough council homes, if you cannot afford to pay over the odds for private rental you end up taking a sub-prime mortgage of 125%. And of course Northern Rock were perfectly set up to offer those to you.

Oh and its was Thatcher to started the demutualisation of building societies into banks.

Northern Rock though are a unique case, as their business model was completely nuts.

Listen to these podcasts by Mark Thomas
    http://www.markthomasinfo.com/section_audiovideo/

At the very least listen to the first one with Sargon Nissan. It's an eye, or should that be ear?, opener...

16. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Isn't there also a private rented acommodation sector in this country then.;):rolleyes:

Probably little more nuts than Sir Fred Goodwin though, as his level of advanced megalomania clearly means he should have been certified long before he was able to sink the Royal Bank Of Scotland.

17. bixbarton

bixbarton New Member

Jan 2, 2004
    I was going to comment more, but its a little off-topic...

18. Faz

Faz New Member

May 2, 2004
    London, UK
    Warm greetings Bix and fellow TiVo appreciation society members! :D

First time in years I've visited this forum.. Only here via main site as I was about to call TiVo to cancel my sub as my brother's stopped using it for good few months now.... Wonder if they will offer me a free lifetime sub...??

Just signed as number 72:

Wow, I didn't realise I've paid over £1,000 in "support" and hope! But I still definitely DO NOT regret choosing against the lifetime option. Donated $2.00 to the iPetitions too.

But I AM still feeling dirty from joining Sky though, seriously!!

Bring back TiVo! Please!!!

19. Davyburns

Davyburns New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    North East...

20. dvdfever

dvdfever Member

Jun 2, 2002
    My town
    I wouldn't object to electric cars, if they were any good, but funny how Brown won't invest in making that a reality. Must be something to do with the £4bn kickback he gets from oil companies, and that he's a bit broke these days ;)