Tivo2Go, NVE, and file sizes

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by tkoff, Dec 26, 2005.

1. tkoff

tkoff New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    Hi, fellow Tivo folks,

I have Nero Vision Express4 and Tivo desktop. Something weird is going on because when I transfer a feature film that is 3 gig in size, it transfers and plays on my pc desktop with no problem. But when I use 'add files' in NVE it tells me the file size is too big too burn onto a 4 gig DVD. Why? Also, NVE divides the file into sections. Can anyone explain this?

thanks

2. 2farrell

2farrell New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Willow...
    Probably because the DVD Video Quality is set to Standard. Try lowering it. If you don't know how read the Nero Help Section.

3. tkoff

tkoff New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    Thanks, and I'm sure it does has something to do with image quality = file size. But my question is, if the program is recorded at high quality, so 2 hours = 3 gig, then why does NVE tell me it will be over 4 gig when burned to DVD?

thanks again

4. Slicker

Slicker New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    writing a DVD involves more than copying the original file over

you have the menus and backgrounds and sounds etc

you could write it to a DVD as a .tivo file (data DVD) but it won't play in a standard player

5. Jan 8, 2006 #5 of 11
    tkoff

tkoff New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    Well, how about this: is there a way in NVE4 that you could eliminate the menu entirely? Let's say you're burning a 2 hour feature film and it is roughly 3 gig. Could you toggle off the menu so that you simply put the disc in a DVD player and it starts showing the movie? Would you save space on the DVD by eliminating the menu(s)?

thanks

6. PThor

PThor New Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Florida
    With Vision Express 3 when you get to the portion where you setup the menu there is a pull-down above the menu backgrounds and buttons where you can select not to use a menu. When you put the disk in the player it immediately plays the movie.

Also, VE3 will warn that the file won't fit on a 4.7GB disk and offer to make changes so that it will fit (Which just changes from "Standard" to another DVD length).

I'll guess the same is true with VE4.

My experience with VE3 is that if it is even slightly under two hours it will not fit on a 4.7GB disk in standard mode which technically can hold 120 minutes. Changing to "Extended" or "Long" will take care of your problem.

I've started messing with a different method bypassing Vision Express altogether. By doing this I end up getting a lot more programming on each disk.

I edit with VideoReDo (there is a 15 day free trial) which can work with .tivo files directly and output as a .vob file.

I then run DVDStyler (Free program) and drag the .vob file(s) to the thumbnails at the bottom. You can either delete the menu thumbnail (Rightclick option) or make a really basic menu (Don't use this program if you want really pretty menus). I then have DVDStyler "Burn" it as an ISO file and use Nero BurningROM to make a playable DVD. Without the LONG transcoding performed by Vision Express it saves a lot of time.

Paul

7. tkoff

tkoff New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    Is Nero Burning ROM part of Nero 7 ?

8. rgura

rgura RobGTX

Feb 20, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Open NVE, click "more" at the bottom, click video options, click DVD-video. Here select the video quality as "standard" for 120 mins, "long" for 180 mins or "extended" for 240 mins.

Also, always use the option for a 2-pass conversion/

This will allow conversion from TiVo's 480X480 format to DVD 720X480 29FPs, etc.

9. c monkey

c monkey New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Chiacgo, IL
    I have NVE as well. I noticed that the transcoding can cause the burning process to take hours. However, one time NVE did burn an almost 2 hour show in 40 min with something called "smart encoding" on Nero. Apparently, this method helps to skip over the lengthy transcoding process.

Does anyone who uses Nero know what that is and how to activiate it everytime? I have clicked on the "video Options" tab on the bottom of NVE and selected "enable smart encoding" but when I burn the disc, I do not see the smart encoding logo like I did when I burned that one disc. Any one familiar with this? I would greatly appreciate it.

10. c monkey

c monkey New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Chiacgo, IL
    Can you please explain more in detailwhat to do with DVDStyler. I have VR, DVDstyler, and Nero but I have not been able to use DVDstyler so I go directly from VR to NVE and deal with the long transcoding times. Please HELP!!!

11. tkoff

tkoff New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    Yes, I confess I'm a bit flumoxed by DVDstyler as well. Some help would be appreciated.

thanks