Tivo, you've raised your prices, now invest in some basic software maintenance!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by garys, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Jun 5, 2011 #1 of 34
    garys

garys New Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Sony just pushed out another update to Netflix on the PS3. When was the last time that Tivo did anything to update its Netflix implementation? Compared to the PS3 and computer interfaces, Tivo's Netflix interface works like it was designed by a third grader. How about giving us a reason to pay your new, higher prices? At this rate, when I replace my Tivos, it won't be with other Tivos....

2. Jun 5, 2011 #2 of 34
    exegesis48

exegesis48 Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Hasn't it already been discussed that TiVo's new prices are actually in line with their earlier pricing over time?

Either way, I do agree that TiVo needs to get their act together on updating the Premiere. It was such a terrible mistake for them to use flash as they did when they were unsure if they would be able to make it efficient and stable on the dual core processor.

I seriously think that's what is holding up development. They've hit a road block and can't figure out how to get around it in both hardware and software. I can't imagine re-doing the interface would be THAT complicated, but maybe the fallout over the current HDUI's kludginess has forced them to hold back until they can figure out how to speed things up a bit.

3. Jun 5, 2011 #3 of 34
    orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    So you're experienced with programming in Adobe's Stagecraft to make an assessment like that? What language would you have preferred?

4. Jun 5, 2011 #4 of 34
    Videodrome

Videodrome tivo - please wait..

Jun 20, 2008
    Sony internet tv has the 4th update for netflix. Tivo 0.

5. Jun 5, 2011 #5 of 34
    sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Roku is in Flash. Vudu is in Flash. Virgin Media is in Flash. Flash isn't the problem.

6. Jun 5, 2011 #6 of 34
    gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
  7. Jun 5, 2011 #7 of 34
    sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  8. Jun 5, 2011 #8 of 34
    exegesis48

exegesis48 Member

Jan 13, 2007
    I am not, and have not claimed, to be qualified in any way shape or form regarding development of any sort. But I have read that TiVo miscalculated the difficultly of multi-threading on the Flash platform.

This isn't wikipedia, and I'm not trying to build a case against Flash or TiVo. I LOVE TiVo. Just agree with many others in that it could be better.

9. Jun 5, 2011 #9 of 34
    aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    The problem isn't flash. Flash is a scape goat for shoddy programming on who ever tivo outsourced the project too.

If they simply would add:

Method to check if a show is in now playing list, cache data / picture to the tivo reserved section, if show is deleted delete cache.

Cache ad banner, store same as above. Update said cache with tivo nightly update not live every time you hit the stupid tivo button.

Cache menu, store in ram (Its only a handful of screen text on the same backround) no reason the system should have to make a call for this every time you move the pointer. Simply stupid.

This isn't a lot of data to process or store.

The stupid device would work 1,000 times better. Chances are the third party probably just did whatever the minimum was to get paid and hasn't really touched it much since. The contract is probably done or in limbo (tivo paid 50% and the contracting company in india probably has stopped development and moved on to more lucrative areas) leaving tivo to hire another team to either rewrite the code or try and decipher the abortion.

HOPEFULLY the reason we have seen anemic updates is because most of the effort is being focused on a total rewrite. Wishful thinking i'm sure.

10. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I am also losing my faith in Tivo. But what would you replace your Tivo's with? Nothing on the market has this well of a DVR interface.

You don't buy a Tivo for its Netflix integration, because it clearly sucks. Tivo is nothing more than a DVR, plain and simple. Netflix works so much better on an XBox 360 and what I use mine for.

11. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I wonder if when people think of flash, they think of it in this way:

:up:

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    :D:up:

Where is part two?

13. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Over the years, nothing has crashed my various computers or put annoying stuff on the screen nearly so consistently as Flash.

Firefox's Flashblock is a blessing.

14. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    I'd expand that to just about anything adobe has published. For me they are about the only vendor worse for stability of a system than....well....they are the worst I know.

15. turbobozz

turbobozz New Member

Sep 21, 2006
    MD/VA
    Norton/Symantec is pretty terrible for system stability too the past several years.

16. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Remember years ago when you could use Norton Utilities to actually solve problems?

17. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    No, not really! :D

18. emerson42

emerson42 New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    I'd like to step in and remind you of McAfee for inability to keep a stable system. They compete well with Norton. At work it routinely locks up my machine and takes up 50% of my resources on a VERY powerful machine. It also has a wonderful feature of hacking your compiler to add its own library into programs you create without warning you. That right there is outright insane.

19. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Tivo has no interest in software development.