TiVo XL4 menu stuck in SD

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Amy H., Feb 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Feb 6, 2017 #1 of 13
    Amy H.

Amy H. New Member

Feb 6, 2017
    I have two XL4 boxes. Out of the blue our TiVo guide, TiVo Central, everything is stuck in SD mode. When I go to Settings, Displays, etc..there is no option for me to switch back to HD. Even the tech I spoke with on the phone was stumped. She suggested I hit the down thumb button, up thumb button, and play twice to make the screen go black but that didn't work either. Any suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else? Not being able to access Netflix, Amazon, etc...through the TiVo box is such a pain. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. Feb 7, 2017 #2 of 13
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Reboot?

3. Feb 7, 2017 #3 of 13
    Amy H.

Amy H. New Member

Feb 6, 2017
    Yeah, I've tried that at least a dozen times now.

4. Feb 7, 2017 #4 of 13
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Same version of software? Maybe redo Guided Setup but that sounds like a stretch for this kind of issue.

Scott

5. Feb 8, 2017 #5 of 13
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Try just rebooting the UI.

6. Feb 8, 2017 #6 of 13
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Guided Setup does not do anything for the menu itself, only channels. It may also mess up the Tivo.

7. Feb 8, 2017 #7 of 13
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    How is it connected to the TV?

8. Feb 8, 2017 #8 of 13
    HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    They already had her try that according to her message (Thumb Down - Thumb Up - Play - Play).

Scott

9. Feb 8, 2017 #9 of 13
    HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Hmm that's an interesting thought. Also, on a Premiere, how about output resolution settings?

Scott

10. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Logically, did you try to test the various resolutions under Settings and display. If the HD resolutions haven't been tested, then no HD menu, theoretically.

11. Max A.

Max A. New Member

Feb 10, 2017
    I had the same problem last week. What's your Opt-Status? (System Information - page 4, above "HDUI Available".)

After much research and troubleshooting, I learned that Series 4 HD menus are only available with a Privacy Policy of Opt-Default (default) or Opt-In (I think used for Beta users). . . . (Privacy advocates, please weigh in here.)

I called Tivo, and asked them to make the account change from "Opt-Out", waited about 15 minutes, and then I did a "Connect to Tivo Service" update. (You can also do the faster "Test Internet connection").

I then got back the option under Display to change to HD menus!

By the way, once you are Opt-default (this is what you want), you will not see an Opt-Status on System Information. Also, I originally tried "Opt-in" and got issues with some other menus being in SD, when I tried Multi-room Viewing. So definitely choose "Opt-Default".

susan b and Mikeguy like this.
  12. susan b

susan b New Member

Sep 22, 2019
    You're a genius! I called Tivo three times, cable company, unfortunately tivo told me I had to do a hard reset so I lost everything and now the whole dang time it was just the privacy setting!! well I'm annoyed I lost everything but happy someone knew more than Tivo customer support 3 times!! Thank you, my HD menu is back!

Mikeguy likes this.
  13. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I had a Premiere that every time I switched to HD Menus, all I got was a black screen. No amount of fussing would ever get me a picture on-screen. Immediately after the boot-up switch to HD Resolution, the screen would blank out.

I would have to connect with Composite Video to reset to SD Menus to ever get an HD picture back.

Eventually I did a KickStart 57 and that solved it.

In fact, that HardDrive was eventually switched to a 2nd Premiere to recover from a failed hard drive and the problem persisted until the KS 57 was performed.

-KP