Tivo Won't Upgrade Software

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by qbuc, Apr 1, 2007.

1. qbuc

qbuc New Member

Oct 30, 2003

Advertisements

This has been a problem for MANY months. My backup Tivo (bigger hard drive but no hacks whatsover) got stuck on ver 7.3.1-oth-01-2-130. Since that time, every night, when it connects via broadband, it indicates pending restart. Each night, it restarts and indicates it is installing an update, but it does not upgrade to the new version.

I worked with Tivo support to try to get it to upgrade, to no avail (plug pulls, forced restarts, etc.). Finally, they told me to do a complete reset (clear & delete everything). Yesterday, I finally did that, after moving everything I wanted to another Tivo (multi-room). Unfortunately, this did not fix the problem. After doing the Guided Setup and several restarts, it went right back to the same cycle of pending restart, installing update but not actually installing.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this poor unit to upgrade?

2. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    You could get a new drive image for your model TiVo and re-image the drive to the new version that way.

3. qbuc

qbuc New Member

Oct 30, 2003
    I was hoping there was a way to fix this that didn't require me to crack open the box. I am not in any way a Tivo hack expert. But I am starting to think my simple options are diminished.

4. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Imaging a drive with InstantCake is a very simple process. Check out the Upgrades forum for tons of info, links, and help.

In your case, it is a simple solution to a problem you have had for some time. It would also be an opportunity to upgrade to a bigger HD.

Resding your first post, you state that the unit alread has a 'bigger HD but no other hacks'. Who did the first HD upgrade?

5. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

Advertisements

also you can simply reimage the drive for free with those tools. The only cost is your time to understand the steps and do them. Should go quick since you have cleared everything off. Take a Sunday afternoon to do is all.