TiVo won't tune certain channels, jumps to cablecard info screen

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by OhWhy, Jan 7, 2012.

1. OhWhy

OhWhy New Member

Jan 7, 2012
    I've not found anything like this in other posts. I recently upgraded to a Premier Elite and moved my TiVo S3 to our family room. When I plugged everything back in, well long story short, the hard drive died. I replaced it with another from WeaKnees - no upgrade, just the same drive.

Everything came back fine and I started with the guided setup. Both cablecards were still in and once TiVo saw them it took me to the cablecard menu. I went to the info screen and called Time Warner (LA/Palmdale). Both cards appeared to pair and I tested some channels - they seemed fine.

I Hadn't got another tuning adapter yet so I completed the guided setup and figured I'd add the adapter later. Everything finished fine and the guide seemed complete however I started noticing that certain channels were not tuning. They appear in the list of "channels you receive" and I could switch to them but they never come on. The gray background shows up but no channel and no "you do not receive this channel" or "channel not available" popup either. It just stays gray.

Even more odd, most times it only stays gray for a few seconds then jumps to the cablecard info screen (the one with the Host ID and other numbers). The thing is, it's not just the SDV channels, digital channels or standard ones - it's just some of each.

After looking at the cablecard setup wizard I saw that TiVo recommends that onecard be installed at a time. So I shut down the TiVo, took out the cards and repeated the entire setup, pairing one card at a time, then addingthe tuning adapter (which I now had).

Same result - from TW's end, all looks fine. The cablecards paired and the tuning adapter connects. Still channels show up with gray screens and sometimes jump to the cablecard screen on its own. The grayed-out channels make no sense either - 2 thru 15 tune fine then 16 thru 79 are gray (none are SDV). Then 81 up thru 411 work fine then the rest of the hiDef and premium channels are gray.

Any thoughts?

2. donnoh

donnoh Member

Mar 7, 2008
    I had a similar problem on one of my Premieres that had been working faithfully for over a year with no problems. Spent a couple of hours on the phone with Charter and they finally sent someone out. He checked a few things out with the signal and then made a phone call to the right person and the channels all showed up. He said that the card wasn't paired properly.

I'm pretty sure that's what is happening in your case.