tivo won't start up?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bitchysix, Sep 12, 2007.

1. bitchysix

bitchysix New Member

Sep 4, 2006
    I have an S2 in my basement, MRV enabled, not hooked up to any tv signal, I record shows upstairs and send em down to watch when I'm working out. I've been working a lot lately and just noticed that the tivo light was on, so I powered up the tv to discover the tivo was 'powering up'- it seemed to be frozen on this screen. I unplugged it and tried again, same thing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    That's a symptom of a failed hard drive.

3. bitchysix

bitchysix New Member

Sep 4, 2006
    can anything be done for that tivo?

4. aztivo

aztivo Member

Feb 23, 2005
    AZ
    get a new HD and download the tivo OS look for instacake

5. dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    Check out the upgrade forum for instructions on how to add a new hard drive. Your choices are to do it yourself (which is fairly easy, but requires that you have access to a desktop PC running Windows or Linnux), or order a new already imaged hard drive from one of the forum sponsors like PTV Upgrade or Weaknees (this costs a little bit more, but it simplifies the install quite a bit if you are computer shy)

6. bitchysix

bitchysix New Member

Sep 4, 2006
    I unplugged this sucker yet again and retried it this morning, sure enough I got something different this time. A green screen popped up and said that the there was a serious problem with the dvr and it was attempting to fix it, could take three hours. within an hour the unit is back up, working fine? any ideas? Is the harddrive on the way out?

7. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    Probably but not absolutely.

8. dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    This is a pretty good bet that your hard drive is failing. Exact symptoms I had when my Series 1 original hard drive gave up after 4 years.

If you think you are up to doing the upgrade yourself, it would be a good idea to take the hard drive out now before it fails again and image the hard drive. This will save you the $20 (IIRC) that Instant Cake CD costs.