Tivo won't rewind or pause live tv on any tuner

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by joeskig, Nov 15, 2019.

1. joeskig

joeskig New Member

May 29, 2019
    About a week after a reboot, my Boldt OTA (TE4 - no choice) is no longer able to rewind or pause any live tv tuner. Only recourse I've found is to reboot. I now have it on a light timer that reboots it every night at 2 am.
    None of my other Tivos (all running TE3) have this problem.

Has anyone else experienced this? Are we back to using products written by folks with programming objectives circa Windows in 1999?

I dealt with support a few months ago and they had me toggle trace on/off. Not sure it's off and don't remember/can't find how to toggle it. Wondering if that's what's causing it.

JKR123 likes this.
  2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If it was 777 Clear 911 Clear, that's not a toggle. It just puts a marker in the system logs.

3. joeskig

joeskig New Member

May 29, 2019
    Yes - I remember the 911 Clear part. The support guy also didn't seem to care when I thought I messed it up once so sounds right. Hence, this issue is not likely related to that.

4. xbr23

xbr23 Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    same issue of no pause, no rewind on live channels on my Bolt Cable model running Hydra 4. reboot fixes it for a little bit, but it returns soon after the reboot.

5. JKR123

JKR123 Member

Feb 10, 2019
    I was just hit with this one on at least one of my Bolt boxes. I can’t reboot the machine right now as I am recording 2 shows. But it sounds like from the previous post that re-booting is not really a solution. I can’t pause the 2 live tuners or the 2 tuners currently recording shows. This is highly aggravating. I use pause all the time on both live shows and shows currently being recorded.

Is this happening to everyone? Is it Bolt specific? Is it version specific? My version shows 21.9.6.v5-USC-11-849. I also noticed my remote buttons are acting odd- there is a significant delay when I try to select menu items. I get the same thing using 2 different remotes. I am sure I saw a reference to this remote button issue on another thread over the past few days.

Get this - the way I got pause to work again for me was to go into MY Shows and select one of the shows currently being recorded. If I select the show, then after an abnormally long wait to get to the next screen (haven’t gotten to the new arrow screen just yet), then select the show for playback (now see the new arrow screen), then after the recording begins playing at this point I can hit the Live TV button and can pause all 4 tuners - again 2 of them are live tv and the other 2 are currently recording. Pause now works on all 4 of my tuners and the way I fixed it was to begin playing a recorded show then switching back to live tv. Huh?

I can’t help but wonder if all of these nonsensical issues many of us are now experiencing are a result of the new “ad” changes or are the result of the support team trying to remove some of those changes from our boxes. It just seems like too much of a coincidence to me. I can’t ever think of a time before when my pause button did not work.

6. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I see this problem from time to time. It happens on both Bolts and Roamios. My TiVos are all on TE3, so I don't see the pre-roll ads nor TiVo+ in the guide. It has been happening for some time, but I don't know if I ever saw it before version 20.

7. fldba

fldba New Member

Jul 22, 2012
    I noticed this happening to my black Tivo cable Bolt with 21.9.6.v5 hydra a couple of days ago. Reboot fixes for less than a full day. Has Tivo customer service had anything to say about this yet?

8. JKR123

JKR123 Member

Feb 10, 2019
    I reported this the following day when it happened to me because their support area was closed when I originally encountered this. Their response to me was to do a service connection the next time it happens and that should fix it. Does anyone understand how exactly that would fix an issue like this? Seems strange to me.

9. joeskig

joeskig New Member

May 29, 2019
    I think I've figured it out. Tivo occasionally adds channels to my channel list. However, I don't always receive them. The Tivo box will then switch to that channel to record something that it thinks I'll like or I switch to it by accident. Of course one or more tuners start getting the "No Signal" error. I noticed the pause/rewind problem was occurring after any tuner went to a channel with no signal.

So, I removed all these "no signal" channels from my channel list, removed my nightly lite timer reboot and the problem has not happened in over a week. I will let you know if it re-appears (i.e. this is not the problem).

kpeters59 likes this.
  10. Yodlei

Yodlei Yodlei

Feb 22, 2019
    Illinois
    I have Roamio OTA on TE4 & this just happened for the first time this morning. Josh Gad on GMA & was making breakfast so continued on & then went to rewind to watch & sat unresponsive. Had to reboot & fixed it so far. I haven't had any channels added recently so don't think that was it. I get the pop-up when new channels are added & hasn't for a few weeks now.

11. JKR123

JKR123 Member

Feb 10, 2019
    This has happened to me at least once a day the past 3 days. I reported it via phone call to TiVo support a few days ago while checking on the status of my pre-roll ad opt-out request. I received what I think is just one of their canned responses which is to do a service connection and that will fix it. My box does an automatic connection each morning so isn’t that doing the same thing?

I have found the easiest workaround for me is to switch to a recording and just quickly exit out using the Live TV button and then I can pause all 4 tuners again on my Bolt without losing any of the shows I was either watching via live tv buffer or recording. I can’t say for sure if this will work on Roamios or not but it is less invasive than having to reboot. A few minutes ago I tried chatting with an agent to open a ticket on this but the system closed my chat box as soon as I filled out the form and clicked start chat. I thought they were supposed to be available until 9pm ET? Has anyone else contacted them about this issue? If so, what were you told?

12. JKR123

JKR123 Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Has anyone reported this to TiVo support and gotten any resolution on what they are doing to fix this? This happens to me about once a day and I do have a fairly straightforward workaround explained in an earlier post. I have called TiVo support a few times about this but they will only go through generic troubleshooting steps with me, such as do a manual service connection twice then a reboot or run diagnostics on my remote control battery. They don’t seem to want to research this because they told me the issue is not widespread. Did the OP or anyone else get any sort of resolution? If not, can others who are experiencing this please report this so they will research and fix this? Thanks

kpeters59 likes this.
  13. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I witnessed this today on a Bolt.
    I couldn't pause anything. Or rewind.
    There were 4 recordings going on (all tuners).
    One of the channels was 'not authorized'.
    Even after stopping the blank recording, I couldn't pause or rewind any of the 4 tuners.
    Changing the channel on the blank tuner did not cure it.
    Playing back one of the ongoing recordings did cure the issue.

One thing of note, while browsing the recordings, was that the dates were wrong on all the shows. Off by 1 day:

[​IMG]

Since last Sunday night, the 1st of December 2019, will forever be a day of infamy in Houston, I'm super positive that the Texans whipped the crap out of that team from up North last night. Not Saturday the 30th.

I'm not sure if there's any correlation, though.

-KP

Attached Files:

14. JKR123

JKR123 Member

Feb 10, 2019
    I haven’t noticed the date issue that kpeters59 mentioned, but I will look into that some more to see if I have that same issue also. (I really think they “broke” several things that used to work when they added the recent changes for the ads and TiVo+ stuff. Just my opinion.)

The pause/rewind issue is now a daily occurrence for me. (I hit pause and rewind a lot when watching tv with other family members in the evening.) In speaking to TiVo again about this last night, they gave me a 3rd generic troubleshooting step to try which is perform a guided setup. I tried to explain to them that I am aware that other TiVo users are also experiencing this same issue but they may not have reported it yet. I kept asking when they were going to turn this issue over to be researched by the 2nd level support team and their response was that I can send them my box to get a replacement. I am not going to go through all that hassle and either lose all of my recordings on this box or try and copy them back and forth. I then asked them to check when the software on my box had last been updated and bingo - my box was last updated on Oct. 30th. Since I only recently began experiencing this issue this past month, I am 99% convinced that the last software update to my box did this. I asked if they could apply the previous software version to my box and that would prove if my theory was right, but they didn’t say it would be an option.

At this point I give up working with TiVo support on this and I will just continue to use the workaround I have found that at least temporarily resolves this issue.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 2:53 AM
  15. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Since that wasn't my TiVo and they hadn't even noticed, like with the Odd Grey Pop-Up issue, I'm expecting that TiVo will eventually roll out an update that will fix it...

-KP

16. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    I have never seen this on my Roamio w/TE3 if there's a buffer available for a live channel, and I use it all the time for local on the 8s on TWC. I've also used pause on CFB games when switching tuners. It always works.

This sounds like a TE4 issue to me.

17. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Yes, when I see it on TE3 there is never a buffer available nor does one appear without some action on my part; when I get the buffer back the problem goes away. Sounds like your issue is different in that you have a buffer but can't move around in it.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 5:11 PM
  18. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    No, sounds like your channels are getting switched either with EAS or something else. The live buffer is always there, I don't understand how it could not be unless the channel was changed on that tuner.

Never seen this in over 10 years of using Tivos for HD, and I have no issues with trickplay in the buffers. The only time the live buffer goes away is when a recording starts on the channel you're watching, but that's known behavior.

19. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Roamio plus here. No pause/play functions a couple days ago. Couldn't reboot thru menu do I pulled the cord out the back. It has been fine since. It appears to be systemic...gulp!!