Tivo won't play sound from sound bar

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by dysprog, Sep 20, 2017.

1. dysprog

dysprog New Member

Sep 19, 2017
    I have a Tivo Roamio. I just upgraded my tv from a 10yo lcd to a new 4k OLED from LG. With it I got a cheap sound bar, because even a cheapo had better sound then the internal speakers.

I connected the Tivo to the TV with HDMI and the TV to the sound bar with an Optical wire.

Tivo ---hdmi---> TV ----optical---->Soundbar

And the sound won't work. All the other devices will put sound out. The blu-ray and the nintendo are connected to the tv in the exact same manner. and they put sound out the out bar. And if I switch the TV to internal speakers, all the devices including the TiVo work.

1) Other device to sound bar: Works
    2) Other device to internal speakers: Works
    3) Tivo to internal speakers: Works
    4) Tivo to Sound bar: DOES NOT WORK

What the heck is going on here? Is this some kind of stupid DRM? Is the Tivo buggy?

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Is the TiVo plugged in to the ARC input (output?)? Is CEC enabled?

Maybe try swapping the inputs?

-KP

3. kitt84

kitt84 New Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Check your audio setting on the Tivo. If it's using Dolby, try changing it to PCM.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

kpeters59 likes this.
  4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Are you stating that the TiVo's optical output does not work with the sound bar? The Roamio's optical and A/V outputs are always active.

Yes, usually anything is better than the TV's speakers.

5. jtdon99

jtdon99 Member

Oct 25, 2014
    lenior,nc
    You need to connect the optical wire from the Tivo to the soundbar not the TV. My Roamio works fine with my SB this way.

6. dysprog

dysprog New Member

Sep 19, 2017
    This worked. I have no ideas why the tivo and or tv could not either auto select the proper protocol or conver if need be, but it's working now.

kpeters59 likes this.
  7. rsamos

rsamos Member

Aug 20, 2015
    MN
    No doubt that works for you, but the Tivo HDMI connection carries the audio too. If your display does audio passthrough it should work doing the connection from it to the sound bar.

8. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Plus, the TiVo Remote would need to work the audio on the Soundbar, unless you always listen to the volume at 100...