TiVo won't fast forward Centric channel commercials

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MarsupialWoman, Sep 3, 2011.

1. MarsupialWoman

MarsupialWoman Tivo-licious!

Jan 13, 2006
    Delaware Valley
    Hello,
    I have finally found Homicide Life on the Street on the Centric channel, but it won't fast forward through the commercials! There is a mattress commercial that is especially annoying. Every time I hit ff, the time bar does not show any movement and no matter how far I go, it jumps right back to where I left off. I have to jump to the next 15 minute mark and rewind - but not too far or I end up back in the ff loop.

This is driving me CRAZY! Is anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions? I hope other channels are not going to do this.

Thanks!

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Odd. Can you fast forward at all, like during the actual show scenes?

What model Tivo do you have? How old is the unit? Is it modified at all?

3. MarsupialWoman

MarsupialWoman Tivo-licious!

Jan 13, 2006
    Delaware Valley
    TivoHD, 3-4 years old, bigger hd.
    I can ff, but it is jumpy. If I go too far, I get stuck again. It seems to cooperate only during the actual show recording. If I ff or rewind too close to a commercial, it put me back in the commercial loop. Sometimes, I can ff past the commercial, but it jumps about 8 minutes causing me to miss some of the show.
    All the other channels are fine.
    What do you think?

4. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    If it is happening on just one channel, then it is most likely a signal strength issue. Is this channel being received over-the-air, digital cable(via cable card), or analog cable(no cable card).

You can check the signal strength in the cable card diagnostics in the "Settings" menu. I think maybe that channel is coming in a little too strongly, and you may need an attenuator to decrease the signal strength.

Do you have any other devices there that receive the same channel? Any issues?

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Supposedly there is a flag that a broadcast channel can insert into the signal that disables FF.
    If this is what is happening, you might try using the (undocumented) 30 second skip feature on the Tivo.
    Play a previously recorded program, then hit Select, Play, Select, 3, 0, Select on the remote.
    This will allow you to use the advance button (->|) to skip forward 30 seconds with each press.