Tivo Won't Detect TiVo Wireless G Adapter!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by chrisco, Jan 9, 2006.

1. chrisco

chrisco New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I have a 540 series Tivo and have been struggled with getting two different wireless adapters to work with it. Finally, I went ahead and ordered Tivo's new Wireless G adapter last week.

It arrived today, so I plug it into the USB port and get power (the power indicator lights up). Then nothing. The other light never flashes to indicate its trying to detect a network. When I go to 'setup' menu it doesn't detect a wireless network and won't let me adjust any settings.

The support documents suggest this happens when using a wireless adapter that isn't supported. Obviously, Tivo's own wireless adapter should be supported.

I've powercycled and unplugged and plugged everything about a dozen times.
    Any suggestions?

2. stantonl

stantonl New Member

Jun 21, 2004
    Eagle River, Ak
    It's possible that you could have gotten a bad adapter. How long are you giving the adapter to find you network. What kind of security are you running with your network. Try turn off your wep or wpa and see what happens.
    Here's a link about the adapter and some info on it.
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=278655
    Stantonl

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Are you running 7.2.1 software?

4. chrisco

chrisco New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Thanks for the responses.

I've turned off all security to see if anything changes and it doesn't. Like I said, it's not even attempting to look for the network. I've given it anywhere from 5 minutes to 4 hours to find the nework. Nothing happens.

I'm running 5.3-01-2-540 software.

5. JustAllie

JustAllie Number crunchin'

Jan 4, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    There's your problem.

7.2.1 or higher software is required.

6. chrisco

chrisco New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I don't know how I missed that. I guess I assumed it downloaded the latest software when I completed the guided setup. This is frustrating - I don't have a land line so I guess I'll have to lug it to someone else's house again.

Thanks for your help.