Tivo won't connect

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by KWN1965, Oct 18, 2019.

1. KWN1965

KWN1965 New Member

Jul 6, 2019

Advertisements

I just received my tivo roamio and hooked it up .went though setup then called tivo and actived it . Now I have no picture on my tv . Just a blank screen .there is a green ligth that stays on the front panel. A red light just came on for an hour then it truned off . Still nothing on my tv screen just a blank screen . I tryed 2 different hdmi cables . And 2 different tvs still nothing. I bought my tivo used and didn't get a book with it . Do I need to get my money back?

2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I would telephone TiVo customer support tomorrow morning, note that you're trying to set up your TiVo box, and have not had success--they can look into things and further have you try things. There's still reason to be optimistic.

3. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Just a guess, but your lights seem to indicate the box is working normally for connection and recording, but if the HDMI output is dead, then you got ripped off by some turd selling known bad equipment.

There generally aren't any "books" with these boxes anymore, but there are PDF copies of the manuals available on the tiVo support site.

4. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    If your TV has composite video try that. At least you'll know if the HDMI is the problem.

Edit: You state you went through set up, so you could see all the Tivo screens, guided set up etc. Is it just TV that you can't see? Can you see the menu's? Cable or antenna?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  5. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA

Advertisements

If you were able to go through guided setup then you are getting output to the TV. By any chance did you change inputs on the TV (after you went through guided setup)? Have you cycled through the TV inputs?

6. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Power cycle the TiVo and see what, if any, screens you see during the boot up process.

7. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I guess he got it to work. :)

8. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    I enjoyed reading your response. There's that!!

9. KWN1965

KWN1965 New Member

Jul 6, 2019
    I called customer service and they walked me through some steps . I have no video on my tv so I can't do anything with the tivo so I'm sending it back to the guy I bought it from for a full refund. Now I have to go through the whole process of finding a tivo, buying it, and waiting for it to arrive. My tivo mini will be here tomorrow.

10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    If you can wait a matter of weeks, Black Friday/Cyber Monday are fast approaching and TiVo has had some nice deals the past few years, starting as early as the week of or before Black Friday or so. This is a good place to monitor them, as there sometimes are tips here, including as to otherwise unannounced promotions.

Are you looking for a cable or an OTA TiVo box? TiVo has some of each (in both Roamio and Bolt models) available at its online outlet, in refurb. form. https://www.tivo.com/shop/outlet I've had success with a TiVo refurb., it seeming to be in new form. But I'd be tempted to look for November holiday promotions.

Wigohwt likes this.