Tivo won't connect to new router

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by iam4miami, Jul 12, 2020.

1. iam4miami

iam4miami New Member

Jul 12, 2020
    I had my Tivo and mini connected via ethernet on my router. I had to get a new router, and now I can't get it to connect. I checked the router connection with my computer, and it worked fine. I can connect my Tivo via wi-fi, but the mini isn't wi-fi capable. The router is an Asus RT-AC86U. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Why can't you connect the ethernet?

3. iam4miami

iam4miami New Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Everything is connected but the router says unplugged.

4. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Bad ethernet port?

5. iam4miami

iam4miami New Member

Jul 12, 2020
    No the computer works fine with that ethernet port.

6. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    How about the ethernet cable itself? Is it connected at the other end? is it bad?

7. iam4miami

iam4miami New Member

Jul 12, 2020
    The cable works fine when hooked from the router to the computer.

8. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    I would try "rebooting" everything by disconnecting power to each device.
    Start the router first, give it a few minutes. Then power up the tivo & mini.

9. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    If it's a MoCA capable unit could you have accidentally configured it to use MoCA and it's stuck on that and ignoring the RJ45?

misterclick likes this.
  10. LarryAtHome

LarryAtHome Active Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Remove the Ethernet cable and look inside the connector on the Tivo. Do all the wires look in good shape? are any bent and shorting? Do any lights on the ethernet connector jack light up when the cable is plugged in? Do any lights on the asus router light up?
    If not, try a different cable (even though the cable works with another device).

Teeps likes this.
  11. Sptrader

Sptrader Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Maybe try a short network cable (a few feet long) connected directly to the router and Mini, just to see if it will connect. Also, make sure that your internet connection is working.

12. NJTechGuy

NJTechGuy New Member

May 5, 2020
    I have the exact same router. I have had it for about a year and everything worked fine on my Roamio Plus and 3 Tivo minis for a while. Then about a month or so ago I started having issues with the Minis. They would get an IP address but not download and complete updates. I tried both Moca and Ethernet and could only get 1 Mini to work. I spent a couple hors on the phone with Tivo troubleshooting. Finally, they asked if I had an in-line coax filter on my cable line coming into the house and right before the Tivo Roamio. I did not. They sent me one for free. Right after I connected it to the input of the Roamio, all my Minis connected and completed fine. So apparently these filters are supposed to prevent data from going outside the network. I'm speculating that the Minis were first getting an IP from my Asus router then loing direct outside my network to find the internet which it couldnt since it bypassed my asus somehow. I personally think some update on the Asus caused this. So call TIVO, tell them the issue and have them send an inline Coax filter.

13. JBDragon

JBDragon Member

Jan 3, 2004
    Fairfield, CA
    Maybe it's a configuration issue. Something with DHCP??? Either on the Router settings or the Tivo settings. If it can't get an IP address, it's going to fail. Look for the MAC address for that new Tivo. It may be listed on the hardware, or it's in the settings. I lock the IP address for most of my devices to a specific IP address. Make sure you set the Tivo to get the DHCP address from the router. Not try to do it's own. You may have some kind of conflict.