TiVo Won't Connect to Most ios Devices

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by DigitalDawn, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Nov 9, 2019 #1 of 34
    DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Active Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    We've been having difficulties connecting to our Roamio Pro (TE3) and XL4 with most ios devices. After login I can select the DVR but then the device won't connect, and we get a sign-in error ("network error") from the TiVo ios app."

The strange part is that a newer iPad Pro an Android S10 and an iPhone 6 work just fine and we can sign-in online with the same credentials. All DVRs are wired.

Devices that are having difficulty:
    iPad Air
    iPad Air 2
    iPhone 7

Things we have tried:

rebooted DVRs
    factory reset ios devices
    installed the latest ios version
    installed the latest TiVo app version

I would rather not change my TiVo password because I'm afraid that my other working devices would stop working.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

2. Nov 9, 2019 #2 of 34
    JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    Try changing the network channel that your iOS devices connect too. They may be connecting to your lower bandwidth channel. Most wireless routers use both 2.4 and 5 ghz channels. I’m guessing your older devices use the lower end frequency which can be subject to interference from cordless phones, microwaves other routers competing for the signal channel. So if your router is using channel 1 try channel 6 instead. You can find safely on the android or Apple stores apps that will show you what channels are being used by other routers and this would be better able to help you fine tune your settings..

3. Nov 9, 2019 #3 of 34
    DigitalDawn

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    Just tried that and it didn’t work.

I have some more information. It appears that version 3.7 X of the TiVo app on iOS will work with our system. 4.2X does not work. All iOS devices that work are on the earlier software version.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  4. wlexx

wlexx New Member

May 14, 2010
    I recall having issues connecting through the new app as it thought it was not in the same network as the TiVo. This was because i used a 172.16.0.0/16 class B IP in my home router. If the TiVo and app got DHCP IPs that did not match for the first three octets then they wouldn’t connect.
    e.g 172.16.115.6 and 172.16.115.40 would work but 172.16.115.6 and 172.16.130.40 (255.255.0.0) would not work.
    If I turned off Wifi on my phone and connected externally via LTE it worked.
    Class C IPs also worked. The old app worked fine in either configuration.

5. DigitalDawn

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    You may be on to something. The app can connect via LTE and as soon as we turn wifi back on it stops working.

We may have to reconfigure the entire network. Stay tuned...

6. Kurs0010

Kurs0010 Member

Nov 9, 2016
    Did you ever figure out how to get it to work? I also can't connect to the app with wifi but it connects immediately with LTE. BUT then of course it won't let me download shows on LTE because of some copyright issues...?...

7. DigitalDawn

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    We think it has to do with the subnet mask. Ours is 255.255.254. We haven't changed it back to 255.255.255 as yet, and the new ios TiVo app doesn't have a fix for this as yet.

8. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    That's probably it. It is meant to run on a home network that's a /24. You're running a /23, which is a business network configuration (not that you can't have business networking gear and configurations in your house, see /r/homelab), and if the mobile device is on the other subnet, then it's going to freak out. You should run the whole thing as a /24 and it will probably be fine. I believe it's Roku that blasts the whole subnet with ARP to figure out where devices are. TiVo has a "heartbeat" signal that I believe can only traverse a /24, not a /23, so it wouldn't know how to connect to devices if it doesn't get that heartbeat. The Wireshark dumps from TiVo and Roku are sort of fascinating.

I hear of people running various subnet configurations, VLANs, guest Wi-Fi, etc, at home for security reasons, and all I can think of is that it just breaks everything. The main reason I have people connect to my Wi-Fi is not to get internet (although they do once they are connected), but rather to control my Roku and/or Chromecast to show videos.

9. DigitalDawn

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    Interesting that the Android TiVo app doesn't have this limitation -- or the 3.7x ios versions.

10. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Could also then be a Apple/Android thing related piece

11. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Are you positive that it doesn't, or did the Android device end up on the same /24 as the TiVo when you tested it?

12. DigitalDawn

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    Not 100% sure.

Bigg likes this.
  13. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    That's the first place I'd look, given your experiences with iOS and knowing that most consumer electronics are designed to be on a /24.

compnurd likes this.
  14. DigitalDawn

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    Ok thanks

15. DigitalDawn

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    Hey Bigg,

You figured it out.

Our router was configured as /23 which meant some devices were at 192.168.0.x and others (including the TiVo DVRs) happened to be at 192.168.1.x. The ios devices in question were at 192.168.0.x and therefore due to the 4.2 TiVo software code won't connect.

This was not an issue with the earlier TiVo ios versions *or* with the current Android app, which interestingly has my Galaxy S10 on a 192.168.0.x address.

Nice find and an easy fix by setting the ios devices to a specific DHCP reservation.

16. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    You gave it away with your post about the subnet mask. :D There's no reason for the vast majority of home networks to run a /23, and quite frankly, if you really have more than 253 devices connected to the router, you should be running enterprise grade gear and probably set up VLANs and a router that can route between them, as that's a crazy network!

If you can do static DHCP, that would solve the problem, but I'm curious as to why you are running a /23 in the first place? If you're actually running 250+ devices, what kind of beastly router are you running that can handle that load?

Right now, I couldn't see why a home network for a large family would have over 100 devices, although 15 years ago it was crazy to have more than one PC per person, and 10 years before that it was crazy to have more than one personal computer online at a time in the first place, so we'll see what the future of wearables and smart home brings.... Personally, I've reduced the size of my network, as more devices are multi-functional, and I just don't need as many separate devices, so I think there is some pressure to actually go the other way.

17. Kurs0010

Kurs0010 Member

Nov 9, 2016
    I'm still having trouble connecting to the new Tivo app over wifi. Is there anything I can do on my end or is it a waiting game on Tivo tech staff? I'm afraid I'm not very tech savvy, so I'm confused with the lingo in this feed. :(

18. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    I'd start a new thread, as your issue is almost certainly different from the very specific issue with using a /23 on a home LAN that DigitalDawn is having.

19. DigitalDawn

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    My husband had taken this networking class and then test that required a /23 network implementation. He was too lazy to change it back. :)

20. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Gotcha. That's pretty cool, yeah I'd just change it back to a /24 and everything should work fine.