TiVo won't change channels to DirecTV locals

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ALooneyGuy, May 25, 2005.

1. May 25, 2005 #1 of 307
    ALooneyGuy

ALooneyGuy New Member

Feb 13, 2002
    I have a strange problem that started yesterday on two identical TiVo/DirecTV setups. These are series 1 TiVos connected to DirecTV D10 receivers via serial cable. Both setups worked flawlessly until yesterday. Now, whenever I try to change channels to anything under 100 (locals) with the TiVo remote, the DirecTV receiver doesn't change channels. Also, if I use the TiVo remote to tune them in where they really are (ie channels 908-928 instead of 4, 7, 9, etc.) they don't work either. If I use the DirecTV remote, they work. If I use the IR blaster instead of the serial connection, they seem to work. Obviously, I'd rather use serial, since it SHOULD be more fool-proof. Has anyone else experienced this strange problem or have a remedy for it?

Thanks in advance!

2. May 25, 2005 #2 of 307
    Groch

Groch New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Colorado
    I just ran into the exact same problem. Using a D10 with a Sony SVR-2000. My system has worked flawlessly for weeks. All of the channels work but not the locals. Locals work fine using the DirecTV remote. I did not know the IR Blaster worked.

There must have been a firmware change in the D10 in the last day or so.

I guess I have to use that as a workaround until something better shows up. :confused:

3. May 25, 2005 #3 of 307
    Guyute1210

Guyute1210 New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Western...
    Well i have a D10-100 with my SAS2 unit. Looks like i'm going to have to check out and see if the TiVo will tune to my locals.

4. May 25, 2005 #4 of 307
    ALooneyGuy

ALooneyGuy New Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Thanks - let us know what you find out.

5. May 25, 2005 #5 of 307
    Guyute1210

Guyute1210 New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Western...
    I called home, and had my fiance check the locals, and they still work as expected. BTW i have D*Tv Pittsburgh, PA locals plus NY and LA feeds for the BIG 4, and they all work. Oh and i do use the Home-Control serial cable that i didnt mention earlier ;)

6. May 25, 2005 #6 of 307
    ALooneyGuy

ALooneyGuy New Member

Feb 13, 2002
    OK - keep an eye on it, and see if it keeps working. Like I said, both of mine were fine until sometime yesterday. If it is a firmware update that somehow broke this functionality, everyone might not receive it at the same time.

7. May 25, 2005 #7 of 307
    Guyute1210

Guyute1210 New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Western...
    I'll keep an eye out, and check it again when i get home tonight and post tomorrow Maybe I'll even call D*Tv to see if they did/are doing do a firmware update before this happens to me.

8. May 25, 2005 #8 of 307
    ALooneyGuy

ALooneyGuy New Member

Feb 13, 2002
    OK, I have spoken to DirecTV tier 2 support about this, and we came to the conclusion that it could be an issue with the spot beams. Groch, since you're in Colorado as am I, and we're both having problems, and the only other person to chime in is not having problems, and he is in Pennsylvania, it sounds like a possibility. He sent some data to my receivers, but I'm not at home yet, so I don't know if it did any good.

When I get home and have a chance to power cycle my receivers, I'll let you know if it did any good.

9. May 25, 2005 #9 of 307
    apmusicman

apmusicman New Member

May 25, 2005
    When I spoke with tier 2 support they said that there was nothing they could do and that everything should be working fine. Nevermind that it isn't.

Anyway, I'm in UT and just got the DTV upgrade yesterday and that's when I've started having this problem. How did you come to the conclusion that it was the spot beams? My technician said that there was no data he could send to my receivers to help them out.

If you could let me know what happens or how to get this "fix data" I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Andrew

10. May 25, 2005 #10 of 307
    ALooneyGuy

ALooneyGuy New Member

Feb 13, 2002
    I spoke to tier 2 again, and no solution thus far. We just thought it might be spot beams since it is the local channels that are causing problems. Turns out that wasn't the case. Tell me about this DTV upgrade. Sounds to me like that might be our next suspect...

11. May 25, 2005 #11 of 307
    apmusicman

apmusicman New Member

May 25, 2005
    DirecTV (or DTV for short) did a firmware upgrade the other day and my TiVo hasn't been able to switch to the local channels since. When I asked DTV if they had sent out an upgrade, they said they had and that I had received it. When I told them that it had mucked up my TiVo they said basically that it's TiVo's problem.

When I called TiVo, they said that firmware upgrades by DTV often cause problems with stand alone TiVo s. He said that there was no solution yet, but they'd look into it. In addition, a technican from DTV is supposed to contact me tomorrow about the issue. When he does, I'll let you know what he said.

Also, let me know if you find out anything. Thanks!

Andrew

12. May 26, 2005 #12 of 307
    Msbob

Msbob New Member

May 26, 2005
    Yesterday I also recieved the update on all of my D10 reciever boxes. DTV claims that they didn't touch the low speed data port with the update. Using the home control cable I'm only able to channel change above 200. Hopefully someone will come up with a solution (I have 3 tivos on this setup).

13. May 26, 2005 #13 of 307
    ALooneyGuy

ALooneyGuy New Member

Feb 13, 2002
    I would like to urge everyone who is having this problem to call DirecTV tech support and keep bugging them. It's the old theory of "the squeaky wheel gets the oil." If enough of us keep pestering them, hopefully they'll fix what they broke.

14. May 26, 2005 #14 of 307
    apmusicman

apmusicman New Member

May 25, 2005
    I spoke with DTV tech support again today and they told me the same thing, in that they didn't touch the data port. They also told me they don't service that particular data port either. Nevermind that it's on their box. :mad:

Anyway, supposedly someone is supposed to be looking into it. In the meantime, I thought that I'd ask if anyone who is still reading this thread if they had recently received the 7.1b update from TiVo. Would this have anything to do with our most mysterious problem?

Andrew

15. May 27, 2005 #15 of 307
    ALooneyGuy

ALooneyGuy New Member

Feb 13, 2002
    I'm still using a series 1 TiVo. Also, I have 2 essentially identical setups with a TiVo connected to a D10 receiver. The main difference is that one TiVo is not connected to a phone line. Once every 10 days or so I'll connect it and force a call. This is the main reason I'm sure it wasn't TiVo that broke the serial functionality.

16. May 27, 2005 #16 of 307
    Guyute1210

Guyute1210 New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Western...
    I got 7.1b about 5 days before your OP. I have no issues, and it actually sped up my menus, but the "Bad Bong" on the ToDo list is still there.

17. May 27, 2005 #17 of 307
    Guyute1210

Guyute1210 New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Western...
    I just called D*Tv and appearently the update is going out to all D10 models and is a rolling rollout schedule. The East Coast (where i'm at) is scheduled to start on June 14th. I wonder if there is a way short of unplugging my Sat box from not getting these updates.

The cust support person i talked to said other that unplugging the box, the update will come down. I stressed to her how unacceptable this would be if i was unable to get my locals, and she said she you note it for someone to look at. I told her i wanted someone in level 2 support or an engineer to see this, so maybe they can fix the issue before it gets to me. Looks like when i have more time tonight after work, i'll be calling them back and just asking for Level 2 support to start with, and go from there.

18. May 27, 2005 #18 of 307
    Msbob

Msbob New Member

May 26, 2005
    I spoke with Direct TV again and no luck. The person kept telling me to call Tivo. I insisted that he check with with a head technician and after about 20 minutes they told me they had no information. I am mad as heck as I went to direct TV to get out of the IR fort business and now I have them again :(. I wish something could be done about this....

19. May 30, 2005 #19 of 307
    ALooneyGuy

ALooneyGuy New Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Any news on this? I plan on resuming my personal crusade tomorrow (after the holiday).

20. May 31, 2005 #20 of 307
    apmusicman

apmusicman New Member

May 25, 2005
    Tonight I plan on contacting D*TV because when I spoke with them last Thursday they assured me that an engineer would be looking into the problem, and that I should call and see what progress, if any, had been made. My expectations are not hight, but hey, what do you do.

In any case, I'm continuing my crusade for this as well. Let me know if you make any progress.