Tivo won't be welcomed into our living rooms anymore!!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sac84371, May 24, 2011.

1. May 24, 2011 #1 of 177
    sac84371

sac84371 Lost In Space

Jan 23, 2003
    Greater...

Advertisements

deleted by op

2. May 24, 2011 #2 of 177
    Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Buh-bye

3. May 24, 2011 #3 of 177
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    What would I use instead of a TiVo. The other offerings (comcast, FiOS, etc) are all inferior to teh TiVo Premiere. And none of them are as reliable. I always hear complaints about missed shows from those DVRs, but no missed shows on my Premieres. They have been as reliable as any TiVo I've owned during the last decade.

4. May 24, 2011 #4 of 177
    orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Poorly written.

5. May 24, 2011 #5 of 177
    shorties

shorties New Member

Mar 2, 2010

Advertisements

I totally agree, TiVo has so much potential to innovate, and had such a powerful consumer base to back them up, but they just sit around, take forever for basic updates and ruin their credibility with their customers, while they focus on being patent trolls suing Dish network. They obviously don't care about their core business anymore because there is more money to be made licensing their patents. My premiere is likely to be my last TiVo. TiVo is just Palm all over again.

I've owned a cable company DVR and it was horrendous, but it typically was reliable. I've also owned a media center PC nothing was as comprehensive as that, it never screwed up, it was fully customizable, there are tons of plugins that practically do everything a TiVo can. (I think the only plugin I haven't seen on media center is an equivalent to suggestions, but wishlists have been there for half a decade now) it can be extended to any xbox 360 in the house, they now have 3, 4, and 6 cablecard based tuners starting around the same price as a TiVo. And there is no service fee. Taking an old useless desktop and converting it into a DVR tower is about one of the easiest things you can do, and now I have come to the conclusion that it is the best DVR option available.

6. May 24, 2011 #6 of 177
    sac84371

sac84371 Lost In Space

Jan 23, 2003
    Greater...
    That was helpful. What was the point of your comment. My comments were conversational not a PHD dissertation.

7. May 24, 2011 #7 of 177
    Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area
    The soon-to-be-released Comcast box actually looks better than TiVo IMO. Four tuners, On Demand, working HD menus, and a price point of $8 a month. If TiVo doesn't get their act together soon they'll probably lose me as a customer.

8. May 24, 2011 #8 of 177
    HiJon89

HiJon89 New Member

Jan 26, 2011
    An HTPC used to be more expensive than a TiVo, but now that lifetime service costs $500 and there no is no service charge with an HTPC, it seems to be a more viable option for a lot of people. You can build a budget HTPC for $300 easily, add as many ATI DCT's as you want for ~$100 each and fire up Windows 7 Media Center and you have a user experience that blows TiVo out of the water.

9. May 24, 2011 #9 of 177
    larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    $8, really? Sounds too good to be true.

10. May 24, 2011 #10 of 177
    Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area
    It may be an introductory price... not 100% sure on that. I should have been more clear. But I think they are still cheaper than TiVo, no?

11. May 24, 2011 #11 of 177
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I agree about the HTPC, but $300 is at the extreme low end for just the PC without tuners or support software. A more realistic price for a medium-powered HTPC with cablecard tuners and software is more like $800-1000. The ATI DCT's are useless on FIOS and require a separate cablecard for each one you have. The Ceton InfiniTV4 or the SD HDHomeRun Prime are better deals and only require a single M-card for multiple tuners.

HTPCs aren't as user friendly as a Tivo unless you know how to tweak them. The upside is that they're relatively easy to set up and use and only require a minimum of computer savvy skills. HTPCs are definitely more cost effective in the long run and offer a better return on investment than a Tivo, IMHO. They have features comparable to a Tivo in most areas, and in many others far exceed a Tivo's capability.

And even more poorly responded to.:rolleyes:

12. May 24, 2011 #12 of 177
    blackngold75

blackngold75 Active Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...
    The biggest problem is that "a lot of people" are not tech-savvy enough to even know what an HTPC is, let alone how to build one. The big benefit of a dedicated DVR (well, except for the whole CableCard mess) is you just hook it up and go. Of course, a lot of people don't even know how to do that. :rolleyes: If the DVR is from the cable company then they hook it up for you, which is what some seem to prefer.

13. May 24, 2011 #13 of 177
    bschuler2007

bschuler2007 Frustrated owner

Feb 25, 2007
    Agreed 100%. It's sad witnessing it happen though.

14. May 24, 2011 #14 of 177
    shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I wonder why a company like Dell or HP doesn't put Tivo out of business by selling their own brand of HTPC. Apple won't touch the DVR market with a ten foot pole.

15. May 24, 2011 #15 of 177
    magnum68

magnum68 New Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Pembroke...
    You need a translator?

16. May 24, 2011 #16 of 177
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Whatever... Find the product that makes you happy.

I have been a TIVO customer for a long time and have had nothing but fantastic experiences. I'm good!

17. May 24, 2011 #17 of 177
    shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008

So with an HTPC the cost is $200 - $400 more than one Premiere with lifetime service. Then there is the unknown cost of "tweaking" the HTPC to make it as user friendly as a Tivo. Suppose someone buys the HTPC and finds they don't have the time and/or ability to "tweak" it?

Someone could buy two Premiers for $200 - $400 more than one HTPC. They would have 4 tuners and wouldn't need an extender. Also there would be no unknown "tweaking" costs.

18. May 24, 2011 #18 of 177
    JPS10

JPS10 New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    I have a very capable PC nicely hidden below my TV. This was originally put together for Flight Sim use. If any of you are familiar with that, you know it takes some tweaking. Point is, I am comfortable playing with PC's. Very little effort would be required to set this up as an HTPC or I could easily come up with a low power and quiet box for 24/7 use.

About the only thing I use the PC for that is related to TV is an occasional transfer using kmttg and some lite editing with VideoRedo. Why? Because I don't want the hassle of updates and maintenance that goes with a PC when it comes to TV. It needs to be passive just like a refrigerator, air conditioning or even the TV itself. It needs to work with minimal effort like an appliance does. And no matter what you what flavor of PC cobble together, I would hardly call it seamless.

My premiere is not perfect but it works pretty much hassle free. With the exception of geeks, most people won't be bothered with an HTPC. Heck, people even whine about the cable card install (including some geeks here). As a DVR, Tivo is the best option for my needs. I have yet to find a better solution. As to the monthly fee, get the PLS, odds are you will be money ahead. If you don't want Tivo, get the cable box, cut the cord or whatever suits you. TiVo has its issues but please, can we have a little less whining here?

19. May 24, 2011 #19 of 177
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    There is little or no cost in "tweaking" an HTPC so I'm not sure where you got that notion. Depending on what you intend to use the HTPC for, you may need to invest in some extra software, like AnyDVD HD, PowerDVD, or Arcsoft's Total Media Theater. Any Windows 7 PC, except the Home Basic edition, can be transformed into a Media Center PC simply by installing a tuner and running Media Center setup.

The point I was trying to make is that you may need to make some minor adjustments to the PC to make it a little easier to use. There are lots of other tweaks that can be performed, but they're not essential to having a working DVR. For most people, simply installing Windows 7, if it's not already installed, and running through the Media Center software setup is all you need to get yourself up and running.

The one major hurdle people encounter is installing and configuring the various codecs that are required to support playback of various media files. There is a bundled set of codecs put out by Shark007 that has everything in one neat little package. There are also guides available to configure the settings for optimum use.

I won't argue the actual cost of a Tivo vs. an HTPC because the numbers can easily be skewed in either direction to support an argument on both sides. The real savings depends on the value it imparts to the user. I wouldn't trade my HTPC for any number of Tivos with lifetime service, even if they were given to me freely. That's how valuable my HTPC is to me.:D

20. May 24, 2011 #20 of 177
    Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    Really, no tweaking with TiVo? What do you call pulling the plug every time the dam thing
    ----'s its pants?