Tivo won't answer call from DVR R10

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jsrabbit, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Jul 8, 2007 #1 of 21
    jsrabbit

jsrabbit New Member

Jul 7, 2007

Advertisements

For months now my unit has tried to call in to Tivo. Tivo will not answer.

I have tried rebooting the system and doing every troubleshooting thing I know.

I live in a rural area, so the number my Tivo calls is toll free.

I called Direct Tv and they couldn't figure it out?!?!?!?! Said it might need a new phone number to dial, but only a higher tech could provide it. That tech would call me in 48 hours. Of course, I heard nothing. :(
    I can't see why it would need a new number to call anyhow, since the system says it dials and the call is answered, but then its like the computer it calls hangs up on it.

Has anyone had this happen? That it dials, and connects the call, but then says the place it called won't talk to it?????

How did you get it fixed?

It sounds to me that maybe my account has been stopped by Tivo?

Support offered to send a tech out for a minimum of $70. NO! Its not my box, its the place it calls that refuses to connect with my unit!

Suggestions?

2. Jul 8, 2007 #2 of 21
    wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Why would your R10 be calling Tivo for?

The R10 is a Directv unit. It should be calling Directv not Tivo.

When you put the R10 on your Directv account, did Directv enable Tivo on it. You may of needed to provide Directv with the Tivo Service number.

3. Jul 8, 2007 #3 of 21
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Have you checked your account status on line at DirecTV.com?

BTW, your unit doesn't call TiVo, it calls DirecTV, and that isn't necessary for the system to continue to operate.

4. Jul 8, 2007 #4 of 21
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Eh? It definitely does call TiVo, however the only thing it does is upload anonymous viewing data and reset the nag timer. It ALSO calls DirecTV, about once a month, to process PPV purchases.

If I were you I'd just ignore the problem and live with the daily nag message. It won't affect anything else.

5. Jul 8, 2007 #5 of 21
    jsrabbit

jsrabbit New Member

Jul 7, 2007

Advertisements

Thank you for your input.

Yes, I have checked my account online.
    Matter of fact, it just told me tonight that I canceled my online account and wouldn't be able to view my statements anymore, after July 23.
    It went on to say CLICK HERE and do this to renew it.
    When I clicked, it just refreshed the same page.
    So I emailed them about THAT.
    But didn't think that would have anything to do with my 'daily call' issues, those began in May I think.

The tech I talked to said that the call was to update/upgrade the tivo unit. I guess I ASSUMED it called tivo for this.

But I may be wrong about that.

I have ignored it, the tv is dh's 'thang'. I don't watch it. But one night I thought maybe I ought to call tech support about it.
    When tech said the call was to give my unit needed updates/upgrades, I thought, like a pc, it may become 'outdated' without the call.

Any and all more ideas are welcome here!

thanks so much for such fast replies!!!

6. Jul 8, 2007 #6 of 21
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I thought that when DirecTV took over administration of the DirecTV TiVos that the call was now to DirecTV. In addition to the DirecTV call for PPVs etc.

The call the tech is referring to is to authorize installation of new software.

7. Jul 8, 2007 #7 of 21
    wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Directv/Tivo units DO NOT call Tivo at all. During Setup, there is only One Phone Number entered for Phone Calls, and this is to Directv.

Calls to Directv to process PPV purchases are done Daily, not Monthly. It also calls Directv for Software Upgrade authorisation.

The OP may need to get a New Call in Number, as they stated they live in a Rural Area, and use a Toll Free Number.

8. Jul 9, 2007 #8 of 21
    rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    Incorrect. There are two phone calls the DirecTiVo makes, one to "TiVo" to upload anonymous viewing data and activate new software. I have the "TiVo" in quotes because the call is actually to a local ISP dialup (uunet) and the connection is made over the internet.

The second call to DirecTV is to an 800 number and uploads PPV data. The PPV call is about monthly unless you fill up your card or it has not been able to get through. If it can not get through it will change to daily. The DirecTV call does not activate new software, only the "TiVo" call does that.

9. Jul 9, 2007 #9 of 21
    wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Several questions.

1. What exactly is the "Local" ISP the Tivo unit dials up? Can you provide that number at all?

2. The Directv Number is not a 800 Number. My Directv/Tivo unit has a local number it dials up. Also, it does a Daily call not Monthly. It always has done from Day One. And every call has always succeeded and gone thru.

I am sorry but I am with JimSPence on this. Sonce Directv took over administration of the Directv/Tivo units, the call for authorisation of New Software goes to Directv.

10. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    That is the list of numbers you can select from the interface.

The DirecTV number is an 800 number. You can not select the number it calls.

The database for what software the unit should be running is maintained by DirecTV but the "TiVo" call still activates the software which goes to TiVo over the internet.

11. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I side with rminsk. TiVo operates as a contractor to DirecTV and still operates the server to which the DirecTiVos connect during the weekly call that is visible in the menus. The phone numbers are for dialup Points of Presence (POP) that TiVo buys access to.

12. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC
    The DTivo makes 2 calls one you can see the number for and one you cannot. I seriously doubt that a call is made EVERY day. If all DTivos did that then none would get in. It is weekly at the least.

13. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    In the beginning, the TiVo calls were made roughly every 26 hours when more information was coming over the phone line. Now it's weekly in most cases.

The call to DirecTV's 800 number is monthly. You can't see any evidence of this in the TiVo menus.

14. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Either you are wrong, and DirecTiVo's call TiVo (which I've always understood to be the case) or both my DirecTiVo's and Standalones dial direcTV, because when I do guided setup, they both come up with the same phone number.

15. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Sorry about some misinfo on my part.

To reiterate: during guided setup, the phone number you select is to TiVo to authorize new software installation and to download viewing statistics. The number for calling DirecTV, for PPVs etc, is internal and cannot be changed.

16. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    After going thru this Topic, I have learn't something new, and I thank you all.

So back to the OP's question, they would need to contact Tivo for a New 800 number that works. I remember reading somewhere that Tivo has dropped or changed alot of its phone numbers.

17. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC

Is that a Kentucky thing?? :confused: :D :eek:

18. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Don't really know.... LOL.

Its a kiwi thing tho. Been living here for 6 Years now and every now and again I make a little typo error :p

19. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Nope - have to contact DirecTV. Calling TiVo won't get you anywhere except being told to call DirecTV.

20. grieny

grieny New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    TiVo dropped a lot of their local dial up numbers. They blame it on a third party. But, I believe it is a bunch of BS. You need to change your set up to dial a different number. You will now pay long distance charges to allow your machine to maintain broadcast schedules. Didn't TiVo tell you that you may incur long distance charges to operate the machine? The sales staff doesn't admit or know this. they pretend everyone will have a local number. IT IS TOTAL MISREPRESENTATION OF THEIR PRODUCT. When you renew, ask for a jar of vaseline.

I am sorry that everybody doesn't live in major metropolas. But Kentucky does have a heck of alot of benefits over most cities. eg. you can see the stars (the real ones) not the ones that Hollywood convinces you are the real deal.