TiVO won't add used Tivo HD to my account

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by dcpmark, Sep 27, 2010.

1. dcpmark

dcpmark Member

Feb 8, 2006

Advertisements

I purchased a used upgraded unit from a local guy who is not the original account holder. He just buys them, upgrades them, and them sells them. The account status says "closed", but when I went online to add it to my 3 other Tivos the system said the unit has already been activated, and that I had to contact CS. CS told me that I needed "permission" from the original account holder to add it to my account.

Any ideas?

TIA!

2. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    That's BS. They don't need permission.
    I bought a used tivo that was still subscribed by the previous owner and they just stopped that subscription and started a new sub on my account.

3. crazywater

crazywater USS TiVo NCC-1780

Mar 7, 2001
    USA
    My experience when I sold my older TiVo's was I had to give permission for the TiVo's to be moved to the new owners account...

4. txporter

txporter One sec, almost done

Sep 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    It seems to depend on the CS agent you speak with. I have added about 5-6 units to my account over the years and have only been asked once to get permission from the previous owner. I just called back and spoke to someone else to get it transferred.

5. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT

Advertisements

Just do guided setup using your ZIP code to prove that you have the TiVo in your home, and tell the CSR to look at the logs and see that you just used your ZIP. If needed the CSR can send you a message to your TiVo that you can read back to the CSR.

6. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    This is true if you want to use the remaining pre-paid service on the used TiVo (not for lifetime.) Done that.

Otherwise, can't you add the new unit to your account yourself at tivo.com?

7. dlramsey

dlramsey New Member

Feb 19, 2006
    I had the same problem a few years ago--I bought a used TiVo from a friend @ work. I got around it by pushing to speak w/ a supervisor and then told him that I bought the TiVo used at an estate sale (as in the previous owner was dead).

8. dcpmark

dcpmark Member

Feb 8, 2006
    I did call back, and when I pointed out the new CS person that this was an inactive Tivo on a closed account, she also thought I should be able to add it with no problem. She tried to do it for me, only to find that there appeared to be a technical problem with the account that only tech support could fix. She escalated it up to tech support, and said it will take 1-2 days for them to fix the account so I can add it.

I guess I'll have to wait and see. The website is still won't let me add it to my account.

9. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    When I bought a S2 with a few months of service the CSR conferenced in the previous owner and me and transferred the TiVo and service. She screwed it up to where I had all of the TiVos, his and mine on my account, and I had to call to the higher level to sort it out which took a few days. My main fear was that they'd lose my S3 with lifetime, but in the end it was correct.

10. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    This can happen if the previous owner owes money to TiVo, I had this problem a few years ago and TiVo wanted me to pay the $12.95 the previous owner owed to get the TiVo released. I called back got another CSR and he fixed the problem in two days (without me paying anything)

11. dcpmark

dcpmark Member

Feb 8, 2006
    UPDATE: Tech support is still working on the problem, and now will take 3-5 days instead of 1-2 days. The activation system is still showing that the account is open, even though the TiVO HD itself shows that the account is closed. The tech CS person says it's been escalated to a level he didn't even know existed.