Tivo won't Accept Cablecard

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by aproza, Jun 2, 2011.

1. aproza

aproza New Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Hello,

I have been for the last two weeks going back and forth between TiVo and my cable provider (Time Warner Cable of New England). The issues are that I lost my cable card authorization on only one of my premiers; the other works just fine no problems. I have had 4 cable cards and 6 tuning adapters changed out, after last night talking to TiVo and Time Warner at the same time I have no resolve. :mad: :confused: I wanted to know if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Thanks in advance for any help the is sent

2. tunarollz

tunarollz Jon at TiVo

Jun 1, 2011
    Sunnyvale, CA
    sounds like a pairing issue on TWC's side

3. donnoh

donnoh Member

Mar 7, 2008
    "I have had 4 cable cards and 6 tuning adapters changed out, after last night talking to TiVo and Time Warner at the same time I have no resolve"

These statements absolutely piss me off. How many times do you need to change something out before you realize that its not the hardware? The only people that constantly change out hardware are the ones that don't have a clue what they are doing. Insist on a resolution, the likelihood of more than one hardware failure is almost non-existent. No matter how incompetent your local cable company officials are they always have a higher authority to call. Insist they ask for help from the corporate level.

4. dilbert27

dilbert27 New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Not entirely true about failed hardware when it comes to cablecard for whe comcast came out to install my brother in laws the tech had 8 cards and the first 5 cards the tech tried were bad before he finally installed a working one.

The tech then admitted that when they have a failed card or go on a service call to replace a failed card they take them back to the warehouse and report them as bad or failed cards and the warehouse employees never test them and just place the bad cards back into a bin with the good cards and they just end up back on a techs truck for a later call.

5. aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    This. We had the same issue. The tech said that he brings 5 cards with him because guaranteed the first 2 almost never work.

OP
    You need to call your cable company and give them the new ID number for the card. You can find it in the cable card menu section on the tivo. ON comcast cards its all letters, I think 8 of them or so. Once they have those they can send the activation signal to the card. It then takes about 5 to 10 minutes for the EMM's (I think they are called) to register. This is one time thing and not a every reboot issue. You can view the EMM (?) progress in one of the cable card menus. Once those start to register channels start showing up.

6. eb9

eb9 New Member

May 28, 2011
    My experience with cables cards is that I think the cable card is the worst thing to ever come out.
    Since day 1 the cable card has been mediocre at best. Remember when they first came out? Most TV manufactures were boasting that their units had cable card slots... is there any new TV's with this "technology"??
    I just got a new premier unit and had the cable company come out with their cable card and tuning adaptor.. after 2.75 hours of mucking with it, it was finally paired up and working.. Why after many years, the cable card is still junk?
    My cable guy told me he had done only 4 cable card installs in the past 6 months and that they only have 1 cable card TiVo "expert" that they can call and get most issues resolved.

7. rdodolak

rdodolak Member

Dec 17, 2008
    That's more of an issue due to the cable companies rather than cable cards.

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Cable cards can work great. The problem is the support from the cable provider. You need a tech that knows what they are doing and also knows how to get in contact with the proper people for the cable card setup. When that happens the cable cards are activated with no issue.

I've had cable cards setup in as quick as ten minutes and also as long as an hour or more with both FiOS and Comcast. The difference was always the tech and whether they knew who to contact from their company for proper setup.

9. ecoblue

ecoblue Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Agreed. The provider/tech support makes all the difference. Having read the horror stories, I'm incredibly thankful that Comcast in the Pacific Northwest allows self-installs and (generally) knows how to pair a cablecard within 10 minutes. I only wish everyone's experience could be as (relatively) frustration-free.