tivo without service-limited use

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by austinsho, Aug 21, 2007.

1. austinsho

austinsho A repeated victim of Time Warner DBA Spectrum

Oct 21, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Folks...at my office we have a need to record each television channel from 5:00 PM until 11:00 PM each and every day of the week.

I seem to remember in the days from long before I had my first Tivo that even without service being set up, you could program a virgin Tivo to do that. Was that the case and if so, would a box like the TCD652160, the HD 180 gig box currently being sold at Best Buy do that?

Thanks! Mike Nassour / Austin TX

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    No, it cannot. The Tivo hardware is sold at a loss. They make their money back on the service.

Only the original Series1 Tivos and the DVD Recorders with Tivo could function in that capacity.

3. austinsho

Oct 21, 2001
    Austin Texas
    So...will the DVD recorder combo boxes still function like that and are any still available?

4. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Toshiba and Pioneer TiVo DVD/DVR boxes have free TiVo basic service which will do what you want it to, Humax TiVo DVD/DVR boxes will not. None are in current production but can be purchased used on ebay.

Good Luck,

5. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Did you not like the answers you received when you asked this same exact question on June 8, 2006? :rolleyes:

6. austinsho

Oct 21, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Thanks to all that replied, that helped a lot.

mn

7. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    I'm looking forward to next summer when you ask this question again.