Tivo without paying for the service

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by nanllyn, Jun 21, 2009.

1. nanllyn

nanllyn New Member

Oct 14, 2004

Advertisements

I was wondering if I bought an old Tivo unit and added to our DirecTV service can I use it to pause and rewind without having the service. We don't want it to record any shows just use it to rewind and pause.
    I know we could by a DVR from Directv but my husband doesn't want to pay for the $100 and then $6 a month. So I thought a Tivo box might be the answer.
    Thanks for your help.
    Nancy

2. newskilz

newskilz New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    IF you buy an old Tivo, most Series 1 and some series 2 I think, they will do what you are wanting to do; pause,rewind. I'll have to check and see if I can help you with which models you can also do manual recordings with if you ever want to....

Here's a link to TiVo website: TiVo.com Basic Service

Info from this thread: TiVo Community Basic Service Thread

First, your TiVo is actually a Series 1. -NOTE: Series1 DVRs manufactured before October of 2001 are able to make manual time-based recordings without TiVo service if they shipped with software version 1.3 or earlier

Second, you have a Series 2 non-Humax DVD TiVo, which came with "TiVo Basic".

Hope this helps. :)

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Pause and rewind within the 30-minute buffer you can do on all TiVos without service. But you'll also get some nags about missing guide data.

4. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Get an old Directv Tivo and pay $5.99 for the service.

5. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

And $25 and a a miranda warning for a new access card and a two year commit, whether they disclose that or not, when it won't work for two years.

6. nanllyn

nanllyn New Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Thank you so much for your responses and time. I will look into a 1st or 2nd generation Tivo.
    I appreciate the thought about the DirecTv Tivo but not only would I have to pay the $5.99 but I would have to pay them to put the second coaxial cable in which they told me today would be $99.00.
    With Tivo it worked on just the one coaxial cable.
    Thanks again for all your help.

7. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    If you ask nicely, the card fee is easily waived. If you tell them you're activating an owned unit, and not a leased one (you do have to CLEAR on that point), there's no commitment extension.

8. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Run your own cable, it's not that hard and it won't cost anywhere near $99.

9. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    You can also use the unit on a single cable. This just limits you to tuning one program at a time. Since you are not recording, that should not really matter much.

10. nanllyn

nanllyn New Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Thank you for all your help. I really do appreciate it and wscannell thanks for your comment as I was just going to ask if I could use it on one cable since we aren't using it to record. You answer before I asked!
    Thanks to everyone for taking the time to answer and explain things to me.
    Nicest forum online!