1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo with Tuning Adapter - what does it really get me?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by TXTivoUser, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Aug 7, 2018 #1 of 10
    TXTivoUser

TXTivoUser Jeep Ninja

Nov 27, 2002
    Denton, Texas
    Hi all,

I've had Tivo's for years with Cable Cards. Charter Spectrum is switching up 'stuff' and now requiring me to have the adapter.

Do I gain any functionality by having this or is this just another box that collects dust?

2. Aug 7, 2018 #2 of 10
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A TA is used with SDV. Read about it here: Switched video - Wikipedia

3. Aug 7, 2018 #3 of 10
    TXTivoUser

TXTivoUser Jeep Ninja

Nov 27, 2002
    Denton, Texas
    Understood on the tech, thanks. My question, poorly worded as I now see, was really more about whether I can get access to VOD or other Spectrum specific features.

4. Aug 7, 2018 #4 of 10
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    More channels? If I didn't have the TA, and just the CableCARD, I would get way fewer channels. Maybe if you just have basic cable (is there such a thing anymore?) you can get all your channels with the CC only. But some of those and the Premium channels would not tune w/o the TA.

5. Aug 7, 2018 #5 of 10
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    For $20/month: Service Electric Cablevision | Channel Lineup

Small cable companies can be nice.

6. Aug 7, 2018 #6 of 10
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Try to find out what channels on your system will be SDV and thus need the TA to receive. In some systems most of the channels anyone cares about are not SDV. But in other systems (like my Spectrum) many of the popular HD channels are SDV. Unfortunately finding this out can be very difficult, especially on a system that is just introducing SDV (so there are no current subscribers on this forum who can tell you). Try what should be the straightforward approach of asking the cable co -- but good luck with that. (Only the tiny percentage of customers who don't use their equipment would ever ask the question.)

7. Aug 7, 2018 #7 of 10
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
  8. Aug 7, 2018 #8 of 10
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Probably never. But they should be a TiVo-hardware MSO soon.
    Hydra coming to local cable company

9. Aug 8, 2018 #9 of 10
    tim1724

tim1724 Active Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    Wow, I didn't realize any of the former Charter areas weren't on SDV yet. In my area we've had to use TAs for nearly a decade.

It doesn't give you any new features. It exists purely to let you tune in channels that are moved onto SDV. Without a tuning adapter you won't be able to watch those channels. (The idea behind Switched Digital Video is that they don't have to send all channels down the wire at all times. Unless someone is actively watching a channel, they can just turn it off to save bandwidth. But since Cablecards don't have the ability to say "hey, I'm watching this, please keep sending me this channel!" you need a Tuning Adapter to do that for you.)

In my area Charter Spectrum uses SDV for SD channels with numbers over 100, less-watched premium channels (so the main HBO isn't SDV but HBO2, HBO Comedy, HBO Latino, etc. are sent over SDV), foreign-language channels, and some of the less popular sports channels.

But in other places Charter Spectrum uses SDV for other mixes of channels. So depending on what channels you subscribe to and what decisions your local Charter office makes, you may or may not need the TA. Either way, the box won't cost you anything, so be sure to pick one up in case you need it.

10. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Channel 3 not working

There is such a thing. I don't need the TA.