Tivo With No Phone Line

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by fuzzy850, Aug 21, 2007.

1. fuzzy850

fuzzy850 New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    I got rid of my phone since I use cell phones. I have a network, can I just get a adapter that changes the usb on the tivo to a ethernet and plug this to my network directly without going wireless? My tivo is the Tivo2.

2. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Your post is teh suck. We need more details! Specifically what model of Tivo you have.

edit: seems members of TCF haven't been on the internet long enough to know that "teh suck" is common slang/meme meaning not very good. The opposite would be "teh pwn"

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The "Linksys USB200M v.2 10/100 Ethernet USB adapter" from www.Tivo.com is officially sanctioned to work.

You can find it elsewhere cheaper, it will work fine, but $29 shouldn't break the bank.

4. jtown

jtown New Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Your reply is the suck. The poster clearly stated Tivo2 which anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together would figure means Series 2.

Series 2 has USB and both official and unofficial USB->Ethernet adapters available from the Tivo store and elsewhere.

5. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    FWIW, the original post was edited after cipers comment, I'm not saying ciper put it the nicest way, but there is the possibility the OP had left all the model info out of the original post.

...just sayin....

6. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Information added after the fact.

Originally we had no idea if he had an S1 S2 or S3 which have vastly different methods of network connection.

Why are you so rude?

7. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Hi,
    I have a S2 (i am pretty sure) and have just gotten rid of my landline. Same as the OP.

I don't have wireless linksys thing for the computer, but do have broadband, for what its worth. My tivo is downstairs, my pc is upstairs.

I am also pretty technically stupid and am not ashamed to admit it. However I am willing to try things and learn things.

So here is the stupid part -

With this - "The "Linksys USB200M v.2 10/100 Ethernet USB adapter" from www.Tivo.com is officially sanctioned to work."

Would I need to have the wireless network set up already? I am very confused. I

Should I call the phone company and see about reinstating the line just for tivo.

8. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Betts,
    The USB200M is a *wired* ethernet adapter, not wireless

If you have broadband, you really *should* have a router/firewall between the broadband modem and your house network, and you would just have a contractor install an RJ45 network cable from the modem/router to the living room and connect there.

HTH

Diane

9. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    :rolleyes:

10. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
  11. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Diane, that was very nice, but I don't really know what that means.

You mean I have to have someone come in and put in the rj45? I can't do that myself?

Ugh!!! I feel so stupid. Is this in the instruction book anywhere? Can I even find the instruction book?

12. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    RJ45 is the name of the connector on the end of the Network wire. It looks like an over sized telephone connector. I am guessing you connect your computer to your broadband modem with a wire using RJ45 connectors (you might also be connected using a USB connection). You would need to be able to run a network wire (also called CAT 5 or 6 wire) from your broadband modem to your TiVo, if you were going to hard wire your TiVo so it could use your broadband to get updates.

Good Luck,

13. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Thank you for the help. It does make more sense. I didn't mention that the tivo is on one floor and the pc on another. I am going to look into some wireless stuff. :)

14. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Would you like me to cite sources? If you don't know the definition perhaps you should reserve judgment.

15. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    You would be surprised at how inexpensive and professionally done new wired network jacks can be. (that 2 floors thing wouldn't even phase most guys nowadays) It's gotten so that it's very common for the "low voltage" wiring guys to do this work and have it look fantastic.

I prefer a network jack in every room, however if I rented instead of owning, I might be leaning more towards wireless.

Diane

16. alxbrewer

alxbrewer New Member

Sep 5, 2006
    You mean I have to have someone come in and put in the rj45? I can't do that myself?

Go to Radio Shack, Best Buy or Circut City and purchase a Linksys wireless router, WRT54G, get some cat 5 or cat 6 cable (ethernet cable) only goes in one way just like a phone line. Connect your dsl or cable modem to the router, then connect your computer to router. If you're running windows XP should be fairly easy (Network Magic $29.95 works great) and Linksys has good tech support. Remember you need to power off your computer.

Get yourself the TiVo usb ant. I know they have them at Best Buy, $59.95. Plug into your TiVo and restart the TiVo. If all is right your TiVo will see the network/broadband.

Once your computer and router are setup, if you want make sure your tivo is set-up for down loading and if you want, tivo to go. You set this up on tivo's website.

This is all off the top of my head, but I had to redo mine and got it all working, and all 3 of my computers and two of my TiVo's are wireless, only thing plugged into my router is my cable modem and one TiVo. Also TiVo has tech support for networking.

Good luck.

17. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    You can certainly feel free to do it yourself should you desire. Not everyone wants to do it themselves, some of us don't mind hiring a pro.

My current house is mediocre enough that just running RJ45 in the basement and having it pop up as needed is fine, but if we were to live in a nicer "joint" I wouldn't hesitate to have a professional wire it for me.

Diane

18. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Thanks for the help, this is kind of exciting!

However, I got a message this morning on the Tivo screen -because of a missing landline, I can get no more programmed shows, recordings or such. I understand that it is not getting the 'signal' I can't use programming to set up for recordings or for SP, but does that mean I can't be watching live tv and record? It won't show me anything after monday at 7pm.

And the stuff to make me and tivo wireless is coming, I should have it monday or tuesday. I had to order it thru Amazon because I don't drive. This will also mean I can finally use the laptop at home.

But can I record monday night just by hitting record?

19. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Bravo! Good links! Our newbies are our strength! And what is clear to one person is totally confusing to another. When someone is drowning and screaming for help, don't say "you're not paddling right!"

As soon as I see a nasty comment from a poster I figure s/he's a Troll and a bully, I add him/her to my ignore list.

20. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    If someone has a Wireless G router and a WiFi system in-place, it is fairly easy.

If you can wait, you can buy a Wireless G Adapter from TiVo. If you want it QLB/today, Radio Shack carries them (I saw them for sale there) and Best Buy shows them on their website

If you use WPA you will have to change to WEP in the beginning. That took me a lot of time to get it straight for my computer, but once I did, when I hooked up my TiVo to the Adapter, it was seamless.

If you DON'T have wireless yet, you will need a router and an adapter. [I have a WRT54GS and it works fine (and am thinking of upgrading to a WRTP54 or a WRT54G if/when I can figure out which will work better with Vonage) ]. You might need someone to coach you through it--but if you were able to hook up your TiVo, you can probably hook up your own Wireless System! Once you do it, you will feel an incredible sense of accomplishment.

OR, ask a techie friend to help you!! ;) ;)

Hope this all works out for all of you!