TiVo with Cox Cable

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by darkdomino, Jul 8, 2011.

1. darkdomino

darkdomino New Member

Jul 8, 2011
    I understand there are many threads about these, but I found them to be somewhat... overly technical for a layman like myself. I just moved into an apartment and the only cable service I can get is Cox Digital Cable...

Anyway, the DVR they sent me is utter crap. The interface is clunky, recording shows is a convoluded mess of button presses (and half the time shows I set to record don't record) ... and for whatever reason, whenever I'm watching a recorded show on the DVR... I can't rewind. - If you try to rewind more than 3 seconds, the thing stutters and jolts you back to where you were. The interface is also seemingly not designed for large HDTV's, because on my 40'' flatscreen the buttons still look pixelated and stretched.

anyway, I'm looking for an alternative. A friend told my a TiVo might be what I'm looking for. Is this the case? or do I need to ditch Cox Cable completely?

2. AnimusF6

AnimusF6 New Member

Dec 16, 2004
    Vienna, VA
    Welcome aboard, darkdomino. I just moved to Northern Virginia myself, leaving Comcast country behind (sadly, in my opinion) in exchange for Cox.

Your experience with the Cox DVR echoes my own almost exactly. I was a TiVo Series 2 Lifetime subscriber way back in the day (though not as way back as some folks here, to be sure). Comcast and HDTV convinced me to switch away. My experience with Cox did the exact opposite.

Sick and tired of their DVR and interface I hopped online, ordered myself a TiVo Premiere (normal sized, thank you) for $99 and opted to pay the monthly $20 (a whopping $5 more than what I was paying Cox).

My TiVo shipped the next day and, seeing that it would arrive on Thursday, I scheduled a service appointment with Cox to install a multi-stream cable card and take way my sad, old Cox DVR.

The TiVo arrived on Thursday and I walked through the set-up that night. Cox arrive on Friday, installed the m-card and tuning adapter without any problem at all and hauled off my old DVR.

The improvement in performance, look and general satisfaction going from Cox back to TiVo has been nigh on immeasurable. I am thrilled to be back in the TiVo fold and highly recommend that you make the jump as well.

Hope this helps!