TiVo with Almond Range Extender

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by missdona, Apr 26, 2016.

1. missdona

missdona Member

Apr 19, 2004

Advertisements

Hi - and Thanks in advance.

I'm trying set up my parents' Roamio with an Almond Range Extender. It gives a new SSID, but TiVo won't connect to it, it gives an N07 error. All other devices connected fine. I changed the encryption to WEP and still the same error. Any help would be appreciated.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    What model is your router?

What happens when you use the internal wireless of the Roamio? It might not be very strong, but it should find the SSID of your router. I use WPA2-PSK.

3. missdona

missdona Member

Apr 19, 2004
    It finds it, but it's not very strong, sometimes it drops out, that's why I got the range extender.

I called support and they said they don't support range extenders (annoying), so it looks like I'm stuck.

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I've used the TiVo wireless N, ASUS EA-N66R, Netgear EX-7000 and Linksys WUMC710 on Roamio, Premiere and Mini boxes. But none are cheap. Of those I mentioned, the TiVo unit is the least powerful.

I also use a Netgear R8000 which, while ugly, is very strong and fast.

5. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015

Advertisements

The wireless in Roamios is not very good. Most "range extenders" should be more accurately described as "repeaters" and repeaters even when properly placed, immediately cut the throughput in half and most are not properly placed.
    Many people assume that say my wireless is weak in the back bedroom, so they naturally put the device in that back bedroom. That is wrong, if you must use them, they should actually be placed in a location where they still can get a strong signal from the primary router but which is closer to the "dead or weak" area but remember, even at that location you have halved your throughput regardless of how many "bars" you now get in the weak area.
    If you have properly placed the device and still have issues, I would look to MoCA or if that is too complex, consider trying powerline devices.

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I confused about the 50% cut you describe. With a basic Roamio using an ASUS extender my speed to a PC is almost 100Mbps. To another basic Roamio it's over 90Mbps. When I copy from a basic Premiere it's still 90Mbps. True, when I use the Premiere to copy from a Roamio it only gets just over 60Mbps.

My problem is using the internal wireless of a Roamio I can't drive a Mini. Signal level or distance doesn't matter. Using the external extender I have no problem even when the Mini is next door.

7. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I know we have an Almond but that's as far as my knowledge goes, other than I'm pretty sure our Roamios all connect to it fine.

I'll try to remember to ask hubby to read this thread tonight.

8. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi Joe,
    I am not sure which ASUS device you are using and if you are using it as a "repeater" or not, but generally speaking if the network connection to the device is wireless and it in turn re-transmits data wirelessly, it is usually going to be first receiving data then re-sending it to the primary router, it can't both be sending and receiving at the same in most cases. For the OP's device, you can go here and scroll down to the part beginning with "Limitations of repeaters and other considerations"
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/07/extending-your-networks-range-with-a-wireless-repeater/

9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I understand, and I agree nothing can be 100% efficient. I'm probably abnormal in that I use devices that can handle 400% of what I feed them. Everything (except my printer) is 5GHz and 802.11ac. My router is on the floor below me, and even this PC goes through a wireless extender. I chose to avoid MoCA since the cable in this old house is mostly RG59 and it's not my house. I know if I had a Pro or Plus then I might have some issues with throttling, but it's all 100Mbps Ethernet on the TiVo boxes. I have run my Roamio with its internal wireless and it could pickup guide updates without problems. But with the last update I ran into some stuttering problems with the Mini (which is using a WUMC710) so I went back to the ASUS EA-N66R. When I bought these devices they were still in production and about 50% what they cost now. Every morning I go to my kitchen and just turn on the TV and Mini. No problems. I have two Roamio boxes and watch prime time TV only on weekends. Streaming from a Roamio works perfectly, including SM. It works so well I need a new hobby.