Tivo wiring diagram check

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jackytar, May 10, 2017.

1. jackytar

jackytar New Member

May 10, 2017

Advertisements

We currently own an older 2-tuner premiere with lifetime service connected to Cox cable and wish to expand TV viewing to the bonus room over the garage and outside patio, both fairly long runs. After much consideration I came up with the following wiring diagram (see attached) and looking for input/suggestions/cautions before pulling the trigger on new equipment. Note that the projector TV on the patio does not have audio output. This will be an ethernet setup as opposed to MoCA. Thanks.

Tivo wiring.jpg

2. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I have always had trouble with the IR repeaters... They work for a while, but are finicky. And that HDMI over CAT6 can also be a nightmare.

If it were me, I would put the Mini with the Projector TV and run a high quality audio wire back to the Receiver. You will get a much more reliable, less expensive setup.

Tivo wiring.jpg

Audio Options:

MuxLab Stereo Hi-Fi 2-Pack RCA Balun Kit 500028-2PK B&H Photo

MuxLab 500030 Stereo PC-Audio Balun 500030 B&H Photo Video

There are also TOSlink to CAT6 options, but that would require you to split the HDMI, but if you want to stay all digital, that is a pretty good option.

Digital Audio Extender | Muxlab

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    jackytar likes this.
  3. jackytar

jackytar New Member

May 10, 2017
    The Tivo mini located outside would be exposed to extremes in temperature and humidity (but not to rain or significant dust). The projector is used infrequently and stored indoors when not in use. Perhaps I could do the same with the mini or just take a chance on it's survival. I've seen flatscreens tolerate the elements surprising well around here. We would be looking at +/- 40ft of RCA extention cable for the audio but why not? More reliable, as you say.

Edit - just seen your edit, thanks for the links. And taking the time to edit my diagram!

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  4. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    You could just attach the mini to the projector if you wanted too. But yeah, if it is coming in and out it can be a pain... either way it wouldn't be as simple a setup and tear down as you would like.

Your biggest issue is that the receiver driving the speakers is so far away.

5. jackytar

jackytar New Member

May 10, 2017

Advertisements

The stereo receiver drives another set of speakers inside the house. Used mostly for streaming music inside and out with a Sonos Connect.

Not shown in the diagram, of course, is the patio design and my near pathological obsession with a clean install. There is a place I can mount the Tivo mini under the patio roof where it meets the house that will happily alleviate the need for the IR repeater and the HDMI over CAT6 while looking clean. I will mount it permanently for now and see if it survives. It's relatively cheap and I have had solid state electronics do well in similar environments, such as my garage.

My Current set-up uses HDMI over CAT with the Tivo premier in the media closet and I have had multiple issues with failure and dropped signals so you are more right than you know. The failures seem to be associated with lightening storms so I figured I would simply unplug the devices when not in use to hopefully extend its life but I like this solution better. Thanks for bouncing this around with me.

So the rest of the scheme looks correct? I should be able to pull recorded shows between the Tivos? And the Mini will operate properly?

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  6. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007

Yes, it looks good

7. jackytar

jackytar New Member

May 10, 2017
    Okay, thanks. Time to start pulling cable! <sigh>

Mikeguy likes this.
  8. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member