Tivo Wireless N Adapter to Switch

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by akaussie, Oct 21, 2010.

1. akaussie

akaussie Member

Aug 18, 2010
    I just received the Tivo Wireless N Adapter. I set it up successfully to work with my Airport Extreme Base Station. The adapter works will when connected directly to the Tivo Premiere (also work successfully when connected to my iMac to test), but does not seem to work when connected to a switch which feeds my Tivo and PS3. The adapter continues to search for a signal, but never seems to connect.
    Anyone have any insight as to why this would be the case? I would think the the wireless adapter should work like any other bridge and work with a switch to provided a signal to multiple devices.

Thank in advance.

2. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    Unfortunely not. You'd need to buy another TiVo 'N' Bridge, put it in "bridge" mode and connect it to your router.

I don't understand the networking principles behind that either ....

3. akaussie

akaussie Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Bummer. Looks like I'll return the adapter and look for another solution.
    Thanks.

4. Quake97

Quake97 New Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Southeastern PA
    The TiVo adapter is a client device. It joins a wireless network, it doesn't serve. I hope that makes sense.

Joe

5. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I would go with a MoCA which works over your existing network lines. It's fast and stable and seems to work predictably for a lot of people. I get 90 megabits/s between my two Premieres. But I'd say that the biggest advantage is just that it is stable and easy to get working. If you search for "MoCA" you'll see that most people are pretty happy with it.

You can get dedicated bridges for $60-80 or if you are comfortable with basic router configuration you can get some MI424WR routers for $30-$40 each and convert them into dumb bridge/switches.

6. PaulS

PaulS Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Southern NH
    Nope. It can operate in either mode. That's what the little switch is for.

7. jmill

jmill New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    The reason TiVo wireless N won't work with the switch is because AN0100 can provide / bridge only 1 IP address. You're trying to connect two devices, you'd need 2 IPs.

Get any "N" or "G" router, put it in bridge mode and problem solved. Much cheaper and better than TiVo's Wireless N adapter.

I'm using 2 x Netgear WNDR37AV (same as WNDR3700) routers. The second router is in the bridge mode and I have ethernet cable connected to TiVo, Blu-Ray player, Onkyo Network Receiver and Sony TV. Works great!

8. PaulS

PaulS Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Southern NH
    Hmmm... News to me and my 2 Premieres, which are sitting behind 2 Wireless N adapters, one in bridge mode and one in client mode.

WRT54G Router (LAN switch port)
    --(wired)------> AN100(bridge mode)
    --(wirelessN)--> AN100 (client mode)
    --(wired)------> DLink GigE switch
    --(2 x wired) --> 2 x TiVo Premieres

9. jmill

jmill New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    You have one IP per adapter, that is expected. The OP is trying to have 2 IPs from the same adapter.

Again, getting a router and setting it as a bridge is cheaper and more efficient. Why reinvent the wheel?

Here is Netgear (WNHDE111), which works exactly the same way as Wireless N adapter, except Netgear is cheaper and has 2 ethernet ports to connect two devices:

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wirel...V3EI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287779716&sr=8-1

If you'd need more than 2 ethernet ports, get a wireless router (pretty much any router that supports N will do) and set it as a bridge.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Or get a wireless Bridge. I have eight Dlink DAP1522 models. They can be used as either an Access Point or as a wireless Bridge. they work great. With the Premiere connected to a DAp1522 in bridge mode I get 85Mb/s to 95Mb/s speeds from the Premiere. the same as when connected to a wired nework. And with the devices capable of gigabit speeds, I get 100Mb/s+ speeds when they are connected to the DAp1522.

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DAP-15...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1287781043&sr=1-1

11. akaussie

akaussie Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Thanks to everyone for the insight. I'll most likely end up getting a router and using it as a solution. The Netgear that jmill suggested looks promising.