TiVo Wireless G USB Network Adapter

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by srcousino, Mar 10, 2007.

1. srcousino

srcousino New Member

Mar 10, 2007

Advertisements

ok what i was wandering is if the TiVo Wireless G USB Network Adapter is a unique product or if a regular 802.11 g usb adapter would do the same job? if anyone has done this or knows for a fact that it does or does not work would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

2. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Go To the TiVo Adapter compatibility list to find which wireless adapters will work with your TiVo. Some third party adapters will work fine, although they may not do the exact same job. The TiVo adapter has the capability to offload wireless protocol work from the TiVo CPU, so it is usually faster than any other wireless adapter at transferring programs.

CuriousMark

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The TiVo G adapter is unique, in that it only works with the Series 2 and Series 3 TiVo, offloads some network processing, and has WPA support on the TiVo (with 8.1 software).

A general wireless adapter may work if TiVo has driver support for it, but not as good as the TiVo adapter, as they expect a PC to be there to do the processing, and work off a PC-Windows based driver model.

4. Padfam4

Padfam4 New Member

Jan 17, 2006
    From personal experience, I would not go with the Linksys G-120. I have 2 of them, and they work great with PCs and not so great with my Tivo Series 2's. On both of my Tivos, wireless transfers began to cause the machine to reboot (every time!) Most recently, one of my Tivos began rebooting over and over again, each time "forgetting" some of the shows listed in Now Playing. I stopped the cycle by unplugging the wireless adapter. Now I have the Tivo adapter, and everything works great again. :up:

5. Gospel

Gospel New Member

May 22, 2005

Advertisements

As another poster has said, if you want to use WPA/WPA2, you have to use the TiVo USB wireless adapter. Otherwise, you have to use WEP on your WiFi network which is not very secure anymore.

Enjoy life!
    Steven

6. hornblowercat

hornblowercat New Member

Mar 4, 2007
    In The Good...
    I love the G2. It works flawlessly, and isn't that what's important. I ordered with my S3 and got rid of my Airport which was a pia.

7. srcousino

srcousino New Member

Mar 10, 2007
    i figured what i am going to do is juat hook my tivo up with a 10/100 ethernet wire and buy a regular wireless adapter for my desktop i figure it to be cheaper this way. thanks for all the post's and ideas

8. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    You will not get the throughput from a generic wireless adapter that you can get with a TiVo adapter. I'm getting better than real time on transfers of best quality shows with a couple of the TiVo adapters.

9. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    Does $37.48 with free shipping sound like a good deal for this this adapter? That's what Amazon is selling it for, and I'm in the market to buy one for my S2. I was just curious if this sounds like a good price. I'm also about to buy a TiVo HD, and I'm hoping it already comes with a wired ethernet port, so I can just plug it straight into my cat 5 outlet (so no extra adapter needed). I'm about to research this to see if that's true. But I do know my S2 has no built in network adapter, and it's in a room without a cat 5 outlet, so I'm interested in this wireless G USB network adapter.

10. ymeworry

ymeworry New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    I purchased my second tivo brand wireless nic from Amazon for about 37 bucks a month or so ago.
    Like Stormspace I also received faster than real time transfer rates. You also get the WPA. Like Gospel implies, WEP can be broken quickly (read in a few minutes...) at least that's what I hear...

11. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT

http://customersupport.tivo.com/LaunchContent.aspx?CID=6d1d0c8f-521a-41c6-97a7-0dc9dd3dff9f

12. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Best price I've seen for it. I couldn't even find it for that on eBay when I was looking.

Sounds like a good solution.