TiVo Wireless G Adapter

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by uclakidd, Mar 13, 2006.

1. uclakidd

uclakidd Easily Confused

Dec 28, 2003
    Torrance, CA

Advertisements

Anyone know the benefits of using Tivo's own wireless adapter than let's say a Netgear G adapter? I want to know because I'm planning on updgrading my entire network to G and want to see the benefits of the Tivo adpater. BEst Buy is having a sale this week of the Netgear WG111NA (Tivo compatible one--i checked the SN already) for $39.99 and I have these 12% coupon thingies and rewardzone dollars, it will be substantially cheaper than the 49.99 TiVo adapter.

ANy ideas?

Thanks.

2. Maxnl

Maxnl Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Well, besides the fact that that coupon should have expired by the time I am writing this, the transfer speed on the Tivo one will be a lot faster. If you don't plan to do Tivo2Go or Multi-Room viewing, get the Netgear one, but if you plan to do either of those two get the Tivo one.

3. uclakidd

uclakidd Easily Confused

Dec 28, 2003
    Torrance, CA
    Coupon's good until tomorrow.

I've heard its faster, but how MUCH faster is it? Like how long would it take to transfer a 60min show? I've tried searching for any kind of tests online and I haven't seen any.

4. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
  5. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA

Advertisements

In my tests it was about 60% faster, though that will vary depending on so many things. Bottom line, speeds seem to be on par with going wired.

6. KJW

KJW Member

Sep 27, 2003
    how can you tell if a particular Netgear WG111 will work with Tivo?

7. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Check out www.tivo.com/adapters.

8. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I am also seeing very good speeds going from my Computer to my TiVo wireless (with the TiVo Adapter).

Case in point - I transferred 3 45 minutes shows (each was about 700MB). I then started watching an hour long recording (took about 45 minutes). In that time, 2 of the 3 shows had been completely transferred.