TiVO Wireless adapter won't connect

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Brergo, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Jun 9, 2007 #1 of 13
    Brergo

Brergo New Member

Oct 17, 2004
    NY

Advertisements

My TiVo wireless adapter (the TiVo branded one) all of the sudden is unable to connect to my network. I had it setup and was working fine. Nothing changed and now it cannot connect. I keep getting the NO2 error-no DHCP client.

I have other wireless clients running fine. I am using an ActionTec MI424WR router (supplied by Verizon for us with their FIOS). I have tried re-booting the TiVo, unplugging the adapter, re-entering the WPA security key and nothing seems to work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

2. rambler

rambler Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Turn WPA off. Connect the tivo. If it goes ok, turn WPA back on and then tell tivo the password, and it should re-connect ok too.

3. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Have you rebooted the router?

4. Brergo

Brergo New Member

Oct 17, 2004
    NY
    First off, a correction, I am using 128-bit WEP encryption, not WPA as originally stated.

When I turned off WEP it connected no problem. I re-booted the router too. Once I turned WEP back on, no go. After I put in the WEP key, it says "Accessing network, this may take a few minutes..." and then prompts me for a "DHCP Client ID". I select "NO (not sure)" since I've never had to use one before and a minute or two later after it tries accessing the network again, I get the NO2 error-No DHCP server found.

Any other thoughts?

5. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...

Advertisements

Try putting in a DHCP Client ID. Make up a name for your Tivo :D

6. Brergo

Brergo New Member

Oct 17, 2004
    NY
    No luck just putting in a name for the DHCP client ID.

Also, no luck with a static IP.

Appears to be a security related issue since I was able to connect with WEP turned off, huh?

Any other thoughts on this one? I had it working fine for several months.

7. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Get Hexadecimal WEP key number 1 from the router's WEP setup pages. Enter that key on the TiVo being sure to use the hex password entry screen and not the normal password entry screen. You will know you are on the right screen because it only goes up to letter F on the checkerboard.

CuriousMark

8. Brergo

Brergo New Member

Oct 17, 2004
    NY
    That is what I have been doing.

9. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Ok. Is your wireless router's MAC Address filter turned on? If so, make sure to copy the MAC ID from the TiVo's phone and network screen and add it to the MAC Address filter on the router and mark it as allowed. On some routers there are two lists an allowed list and a block list, on others there is one list with check boxes for allowed and block. There are probably other permutations I haven't seen yet, so just attack it with common sense if it doesn't match my description.

Usually WEP key and MAC filters are the two most common reasons to get the error message you see. If it isn't one of these, I am not sure what to try next.

Good luck,

CuriousMark

10. brew27

brew27 New Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Red Hill, PA
    Was there ever a resolution to this issue? I am having the same exact problem with my Humax Series 2 TiVO with a TiVO brand adapter (note, I also tried a NetGear MA101 with the same results)....... connects fine w/o a password but when WEP is turned on I can't connect... the password is correct, it just won't connect.

Any resolutions out there?

11. Redbeard911

Redbeard911 New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I'm having the same problem. My router sees my Tivo, and the Tivo sees the router, but it says there's no signal. I'm using the Tivo wireless adapter. The router and Tivo adapter are twenty feet apart, clear line of sight. My previous Linksys adapter worked until the software upgrade and router replacement.

12. brew27

brew27 New Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Red Hill, PA
    I have resolved my issue!!!

Someone, either in this thread or another suggested to put in the Hexadecimal equivalant of your ASCII WEP key and it worked for me!!

I can't post the URL of the site I went to that helped me, but if you google "convert wep ascii hexadecimal" and click on the website called WiFi Wizard, it will do a quick and easy conversion for you!

13. scotthoffman1977

scotthoffman1977 New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    I just got the Comcast Triple Play package, my TiVo Series 2 connected to my Verizon DSL service via Linksys DSL router just fine. The Comcast tech that came out today installed a Netgear wireless router/cable modem combo and I can't connect my TiVo to the network. That also means it won't interface with the digital cable box that sits atop it right now. I've followed the directions in this thread to no avail.

Please, help me.