TiVO Wireless adapter and routers

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by hybucket, Dec 16, 2011.

1. hybucket

hybucket Member

Nov 26, 2004
    Not sure this is the right place for this, but if it is not, pls. move to the appropriate place.
    I currently use a TiVO adapter (AG0100) with an older Lynksis G router, which is about a hundred years old. I'm going to update to a basic Lynksis N router, and want to make sure it will work with the new router. I don't see any comments anywhere else on this forum about it. ANyone use the adapter with an "N" version?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    ALL N routers are backwards compatible, but you need to set it to use 2.4Ghz.

3. hybucket

hybucket Member

Nov 26, 2004
    Thanks. Good to know beforehand.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Since it's a G adapter, it's not going to run at N speeds, no matter what kind of router you have.

Is your old router some version of WRT54G, and is there anything actually wrong with it?

5. hybucket

hybucket Member

Nov 26, 2004
    I understand that it will not run at "N" speed - the "G" speed is fine for my usage, and I have no problems with speed currently ( The only thing I stream currently is Netflix, with no problem). The WRT54G is old, and occasionally will vary in internet speed on my laptop. Also, the signal for distance is quite short and I am unable to access in parts of my home.
    How do I set the "N" to use only 2.4gZ setting? Or can I set it to use 2.4 only for the TiVO adapter?

6. hc130radio

hc130radio Active Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Rockwall TX
  7. hybucket

hybucket Member

Nov 26, 2004
    Interesting video. Not really "up my alley," but if this new router doesn't get my signal where I want it, I might just give it a try Thanks.

8. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    You may want to consider MOCa adapters. From what I have read, they are especially good for streaming.

9. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    Beware, running G devices on an N network will slow down the network for N devices. I actually run a separate 5GHz N network, so the G and A devices don't slow things down for N devices.

-Ted

10. hybucket

hybucket Member

Nov 26, 2004
    The network is not that much slower for me with the N devices with some running on G, but...I put in the new router for signal coverage issues. I have found that the signal from the N router is not even getting as far as the G did. I had expected more...maybe it's not set up correctly...?

11. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    Do the old and new routers put out the same amount of signal? You should be able to find that specification in milliamps in the router documentation. Also, N routers will often bond 2 channels together to achieve higher throughput, but this can affect range.

-Ted

12. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Personally, I'd just update the Linksys with DD-WRT firmware (it's free). That gives you more capabilities, such as bridge, repeater, bridge/repeater modes, but also lets you control the signal power. The standard power setting in the DD-WRT firmware is higher than what the factory puts out and can be increased even more if needed.