TIVO Wirel Adap. problem connecting through DI-624

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by egutwillig, Dec 23, 2007.

1. egutwillig

egutwillig New Member

Dec 23, 2007

Advertisements

I have tried to set-up the TIVO Wireless G Adaptor to link to the TIVO site through my Dlink DI-624 without success. The TIVO Wirless Adaptor doesn't see the Gateway Router. I have tried to set this up multiple ways with and without fixed IPs. The TIVO WIr. Adap. cannot get a IP through the DI-624 dynamically. The TIVO Wir. Apap. sees the SSID, I see the TIVO Wir. Asdap. in the routers log, so I know it seems to connect to the DI-624.

I even updated the firmware in the DI-624 and started the network again from scratch. ALL laptops, a Zune and even a Dell Axim connected without a hitch the first time.

I have contacted TIVO tech. support twice and they were of no help. They blame the DI-624 set-up.

Please assist me. Thanks

2. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Do you have any security set up on the router? Check for mac filtering, wpa, wep, etc., and turn it all off temprarily to see if you can get a connection. If you can, then reset the security and make sure the TiVo adapter can still link.

3. pdonoghu

pdonoghu Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Upper...
    I was unable to get my Tivo wireless adapter to connect to a D-Link DI-524 when it was set for WPA2. Setting it to WPA allowed it to connect. If you are using WPA2, try it with WPA.

4. egutwillig

egutwillig New Member

Dec 23, 2007
    I was using WEP security. Once I shut it off, I was able to connect, etc.

This is exactly the same security settings I have been using on my network for several years. It seems to not work wth the TIVO Adaptor. Ihave enetered my Key several times to see if I made a spelling error or something. No good. I could use WPA but don't want to sacrfice network speed.

Does anyone possible know why WEP is givingme a problem? ANy ideas how to solve the problem?

Thanks.

5. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD

Advertisements

Are you entering the key as text or in hex? If in text, try entering the key in hex. You probably should be using an open key and not shared. For info, try a Google search on the differences. I did that a while back, and learned that the open key is actually a bit more secure than shared key.

6. egutwillig

egutwillig New Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Entering the passcode in HEX solved the problem. Thanks.

I guess it would be helpful for TIVO support to suggest this in the first place. It would have saved me many hours. TIVO support should add this to their troubleshootig tips and perhaps to their set-up instructions.:)