Tivo will not activate new mini voxes purchased from Amazon.com

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by tamnjudy, Jul 22, 2018.

1. tamnjudy

tamnjudy New Member

Mar 6, 2006
    PA
    Thought I'd report this issue as I just purchased a new mini vox to replace a TCDA9300 unit that suddenly boot looped at the startup screen. I logged into my Tivo account to activate this new mini and was greeted with a message that it was already activated. Good news, right? Well, after more than 24 hours, the usual reboots and updates and seeing the dreaded continuous S308 message I called tech support...well the gal said she was tech support but certainly didn't speak like a techie. I'm an IT person.

She told me that all mini's purchased from Amazon.com are experiencing a 'special outage' because the boxes were pre-modified by Amazon. Riiiight. She couldn't explain what that meant when I asked why Amazon would modify a Tivo mini. She also couldn't explain how Tivo would know my mini came from Amazon.com. I initially told her where I purchased it.

This 'special outage' was apparently only identified after customers called in complaining about it, effective 14Jul2018 and it has not been fixed yet. She logged my issue and said that someone would call me back when it's fixed.

My case # is 08099866 and the gal I spoke with was Claire (Tivo id #151508).

Thought I'd let everyone know about this problem in case you're experiencing an issue or thinking of purchasing a mini from Amazon.com

Maybe someone here (Tivo Ted) can get this problem resolved.

Mikeguy likes this.
  2. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    As you suggest, "Claire" was handing out some grade-A bull shirt. Amazon doesn't even open the boxes of the TiVo Minis it resells. The employees of the Philippines contractors tend to get creative when the go off-script.

(What Mikeguy says in the next post is quite true, but in that case Amazon still wouldn't have done anything to the box and "Clarie" is still either an idiot or lazy and mendacious.)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    What recently was discussed here was Amazon's (sometimes?) custom of mingling its stock with that of private sellers, so that if a box sold by a private seller had originally been purchased by that seller fraudulently, that box could later end up in the hands of a customer purchasing from Amazon as the seller, and the box later could be deactivated when the initial fraud gets discovered and acted upon by TiVo. This seemingly has occurred, as posted here not too long ago.

By the way, if you want to call @TiVo_Ted's attention to a post, you should try to do so a bit more apparently--TiVo does not necessarily actively monitor all posts here.

4. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Return it, fast. And then buy it someplace else, not that there is a lot of choice these days.

Similar problem here:
    "If you purchased stolen goods from Amazon, they should replace your unit with a new one."
    Feel robbed by Tivo

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Send it back. Ted hasn't been here since Thursday.

6. ManeJon

ManeJon Active Member

Apr 14, 2018
    When I worked for Best Buy several years ago they wouldn't price match many of Amazon's products because Amazon has apparently a history of mixing new with resold products. So if a Tivo rep claims they weren't truly new products it wouldn't actually surprise me if true. Not that many reps actually know what they are talking about.

7. Snufflupogus

Snufflupogus New Member

Jul 23, 2018
    This happened to me over the weekend, too. I went to activate and it said it was 'already activated.' I called Sunday and was told that TiVo didn't even list that # in their database as a device. Such a pain and wasted time. I may just stick with the A93 for awhile longer. Meant to be...Meanwhile the A93 is getting 7 mbps which is also unacceptable. So, I'm trialing all the other services including DirecTV Now, Sling Media and others who offer streaming with cloud DVR.

8. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    So could it be something less nefarious possibly with TiVo migrating to new contract manufacturer as suggested in one of their announcements where TiVo would stop making hardware and a snafu with registering TSNs in TiVo's database?

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The only Amazon sold items that Bestbuy won't price match now, are special Prime only items. But any others and I've had no problem getting a price match at Best Buy.