Tivo Warranty options change?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by OrangeTurtle, May 26, 2020.

1. OrangeTurtle

OrangeTurtle Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Hey all was taking a look at the tivo sale over the weekend and noticed you can not add a 2 year or 3 year warranty to the device. I noticed they now have something called "TiVo continual care." I've posted it below.

Looks like this replaces the old warranty purchase need. That being said, it appears to only apply to people with subscriptions (monthly or annual), but what about lifetime? Is that also included (just omitted)?

I guess I could call tivo and ask-but thought I would ask here. Sorry if I missed this info posted somewhere else in the forum.

Thanks!

Below is the TiVo wording....

TiVo Continual Care
    TiVo’s Continual Care covers your TiVo EDGE, TiVo BOLT or TiVo Roamio for the uninterrupted duration of your monthly or annual TiVo service subscription. With Continual Care protection, we’ll send you a replacement box at no charge if your TiVo EDGE, TiVo BOLT or TiVo Roamio needs repair within the first 90 days from your date of purchase.* After 90 days, you’ll receive a replacement box for just $49.00.** No one else in the industry offers protection quite like this.

Exchange exclusions and restrictions apply. Replacement box may be a repaired, renewed or comparable product, at TiVo’s discretion. Customer responsible for payment of shipping costs. See Limited Warranty Info for details.
** Exchange exclusions and restrictions apply. Replacement box may be a repaired, renewed or comparable product, at TiVo’s discretion. Customer responsible for payment of shipping costs and any applicable taxes. See Limited Warranty Info for details.

2. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Within 90 days of Tivo being activated on your account the option to add an extended warranty will appear next to the Tivo.

Annotation 2020-05-26 162312.jpg

Annotation 2020-05-26 162330.jpg

3. OrangeTurtle

OrangeTurtle Member

Jul 17, 2015
    OK, so you can still add one- that is good to know. Thank you!

Also, just noticed that when viewing in my cart to check out it says this device has "TiVo continual care." Did I read it right that it means it now has a "warranty" that covers it forever (just requiring a $49 replacement cost)?

I am thinking this is a VERY RECENT change. I may call Tivo and ask. will keep you posted if I get around to it.

4. OrangeTurtle

OrangeTurtle Member

Jul 17, 2015
    ****Update*** You should read this- I found out some interesting stuff!!

OK- so I am speaking with the TiVo rep.

First thing that happened was amusing. They noticed that I currently have a renewed 500gb device- they offered to sell me a "brand new one." I politely explained that it won't do anything my current one doesn't already do. I am considering the 1tb 6 tuner version.

I then asked about "continual care."

They told me the continual care applies to the monthly or annual service- I asked about lifetime and they had to go check with someone. They came back and said that if I have a problem with my tivo after the 90 days they would still be able to provide a replacement "at a good price." They then said, like $49. So I asked more questions.

The problem here is that in my cart it says "TiVo continual care" is included- but when you click on the details there is no mention of all-in service.

The Customer service rep then put me on hold again and came back to say this "If I go with the lifetime plan and something happens after 90 days. I would then pay the price of $149 to replace the box (and keep my lifetime service)."

To sum it up, looks like if your tivo dies and you have the all-in-service you need to pay $149 for a replacement- which in my opinion isn't that great, BUT keeps you from having a total loss if your TiVo dies at somepoint. My question would then be, does this mean if it dies 4 or 5 years from now I can pay $149 for a new device?

Mikeguy likes this.
  5. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    I would expect that cablecards will be gone in 5 years. Not to say that maybe TiVo may have a new IPTV product to replace it, but I wouldn't expect TiVo to give us one for free... TiVo OTA products will be DOA in 5 years as the tuners will probably no longer work with ATSC 3.0 coming out this August.

My Bolt has been replaced twice in 2 1/2 years. Both cost me $49.00 to replace.

6. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    TiVo did show a working dongle that would allow ATSC 1.0 TiVo's to view and record ATSC 3.0 OTA signals, so, if TiVo want to, they can sell these USB devices. This can be done easily because ATSC 3.0 is IP and IP has lots of advantages over the current ATSC 1.0, one of which is that ATSC 3.0 tuners don't necessarily have to be built-in to either new TV's nor other devices that current tune to ATSC 1.0.

ATSC 3.0 can be headless (think of it more as a Fire TV Recast) with an antenna connected to the ATSC 3.0 receiver accessing the IP digital stream from the OTA channel and then distribute that stream over your LAN, wired and/or wireless, to all your devices, even those designed to deal with ATSC 1.0 because the data can enter your TV or DVR via WiFi (some devices may require a separate wireless device with a wired output to the TV or DVR (think of it as a based on a kind of Fire TV Stick), USB directly, or via a very inexpensive device than has USB input and HDMI output, along with directly streaming over your LAN's WiFi to your mobile devices.

IP is already a native protocol for many devices and allows legacy ATSC 1.0 products to then be output to USB or HDMI, and devices like big screen TV's, TiVo, etc. that already are designed to handle IP, can simply either display directly to the TV or lay down the digital stream in IP onto the TiVo HDD for immediate playback (Live TV mode), or save the stream as a recording for playback later, and all this with NO CHANGE of the current ATSC 1.0 TiVo experience. You would have no idea that are accessing IP via OTA instead of ATSC 1.0 because there is no change in how the TiVo DVR functions.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    TiVo has been known to sometimes be generous and helpful in this regard. :)

8. ncbill

ncbill Active Member TCF Club

Sep 1, 2007
    Western NC
    In most U.S. markets it's going to be a lot longer than this August before ATSC 3.0 is available from anything other than low-power test stations...here for example I wouldn't be surprised to see ATSC 1.0 broadcasts continue for another decade.

austinsho likes this.
  9. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    I dont understand. Is an antenna needed for atsc3? Is there a way to get my locals with wifi exclusively? I ask because I am in a valley and get no digital channels at all. Not sure even a rooftop antenna would change things

10. mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    2nd question- Just bought a Premiere in April. Am I obligated to keep it active for any length of time? I got a feeling I need to keep it for a year. My Comcast 2 years are up and Im considering YTTV

11. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
  12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm not sure if this answers your question. I bought a Premiere on eBay a few years ago. I left it in the box for about a year. Then I wanted to test something, so I went to tivo.com and activated it on a monthly plan. After 29 days I was finished, so I called TiVo and cancelled the plan. They gave me a full refund.

13. mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    I am past 30 days. They wont hold me to a year long commitment, will they? As in..."you cancelled after 3 months...you owe us for 9"

14. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If you have a yearly plan, don't expect a refund. I don't know for sure since I've never had one. I did have a yearly plan that I converted to all-in. They made me wait. But I didn't call them and make a fuss.

15. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    I'm in the Charlotte market and they are listed as starting in August. BUT... you are correct... When HD first started in Charlotte, one station showed a weather radar for about a year! So no telling what we will see. But.. its an OTA that most ant DVR will not be able to record.

Really, my point is your buying a device that is probably late in the tooth... As long as your know that... its fine.

16. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    What did you sign up for? Monthly or yearly? If yearly, then yes you committed to a year.

Scott

17. mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Thanks. No. I am on a monthly plan. So I could drop this box anytime, right? I just dont agree with my Bolt $15/mnth RoamioPlus $10/mnth and my just added lowly Premiere is another $15/mnth?? I bought it assuming it would be at most 10 bucks maybe 7 a month. These fees and 3 cablecards are $50 monthly.

18. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Speaking with TiVo customer support sometimes (but not always) can get a concession--something to consider.

19. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You should be fine then to cancel. Couldn't you have picked up one the Bolt deals with lifetime?

Scott

Mikeguy likes this.
  20. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Does the dongle just convert the ATSC 3.0 signal to ATSC 1.0?