Tivo Warranty New Policy

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by rarceneaux, Oct 17, 2020.

1. rarceneaux

rarceneaux Member

Feb 5, 2009

Advertisements

Just a heads up I have been with Tivo 18 years. I have had over 10 Tivo's through the years and two years ago when the Series 2 went end of life I transfered my life time service to a 3TB bolt and added the 3 year warranty. Last week the Bolt died with the 4 flashing lights so I called and they said they would replace it with a rebuilt Edge with a 2TB drive because that is all they have now so I said OK.

I gave a credit card so they would send it out and put $533 on my card but would refund when they received the old one back. I checked my credit card and the charged $689. I called Tivo and asked about the charge and was told they charge $150 for the exchange. I told them I had a warranty and was told there policy is to charge $150 on any exchange. We went round and round for 30 minutes and I told them I will send the Edge back and dispute the charge on my card becaue I will not pay when I had the 3 year warrany. Only after that the gave me a credit since I have been a long time customer.

Has anyone else run into this?

sender_name likes this.
  2. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Whew, they were screwing with you, good you got it fixed though. There current replacement policy is mostly "continual care" which has a lot of specific terms and fees. But you have a WARRANTY which is different. If you have never exchanged the Bolt since you bought it they should have to replace it for free (or a token charge, like $49-99). The problem is they don't have any Bolts to replace it with. So are doing Edge. But that is not YOUR problem (well they are making it your problem), you bought a WARRANTY and they need to honor that. Exchanges under continual care and warranty are a mess, so much has changed, but those with existing WARRANTIES should be able to exchange for free or minimal charge. Which it sounds like you ended up with, but only after pushing it and hassle. They weren't doing you any "favors", they are honoring the warranty you purchased.

3. ManeJon

ManeJon Active Member

Apr 14, 2018
    I found them, in the last month, very difficult to deal with but eventually all worked out. Probably a company that needs all the good reviews and feelings that it can get these days but their policies seem so complex.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  5. seaninde

seaninde Active Member

Sep 23, 2019

Advertisements

You will also be waiting at least 2 months for the credit back also. Just FYI. Their return dept is the worst and usually requires multiple calls where they keep promising you the credit but it never processes. Never again will I buy anything directly from Tivo. You are better off with Best Buy and extended warranty

6. ManeJon

ManeJon Active Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Took them about 2 weeks from my shipment back to them for credit to arrive. Only 1 call - probably was lucky

7. denhearn

denhearn Fishing fool

Mar 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Rarceneaux,
    Just curious. Did TiVo transfer your life time service to your new Edge? I believe they do not 'normally' transfer that. If they DID, I would buy that service for all of my TiVo's. Thanks!

8. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I think the original poster got the device through the new "continual care" policy. It is not something you purchase, applies to all Tivos purchased new. Used to be it was only for monthly yearly devices and was cheap (like $50). Now includes lifetime devices (and they do transfer the lifetime.) But is tiered pricing, based on age of the Tivo. 5 years max. Basically just read the new "continual care" policy at Tivo website. And see how it would apply to you and your devices. You don't have to "buy" it.

EDIT Oh, the original poster actually had a warranty they had purchased (Tivo no longer sells extended warranties, they must have got before Tivo stopped selling them). Warranty is different, should not have to pay anything other than minimal fee including transfer of service. For you, check the new continual care policy.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  9. rarceneaux

rarceneaux Member

Feb 5, 2009

10. rarceneaux

rarceneaux Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Yes they did transfer the Lifetime because the 3 year warranty was bought at the time of the purchase.