Tivo wants to charge me $50 plus return shipping to exchange a unitwithin warranty!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dtphonehome, Aug 28, 2007.

1. dtphonehome

dtphonehome Member

Dec 26, 2006

Advertisements

I'm really mad! My S3 stopped responding and got stuck in a reboot loop last night. I called Tivo today and they said my unit needs to be replaced. I got it in January. They want to charge me $50 to exchange the unit, AND I have to pay return shipping! This is obscene! It's within warranty (one year), and they have the chutzpah to charge me to exchange a machine that THEY need to be responsible for? Has anyone else had this experience?

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Check your warranty the one year part is only for parts not labor, you only have a 90 day warranty on parts and labor.

Thanks,

3. cr33p

cr33p New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor MI
    Or you could always crack the case , reimage the drive and see if it fixes it, if not its most likely a HDD failure and that 50 bux could easily go towards a new 750gb or 1tb drive. When I spoke with tivo last and activated my TIVOHD I was told as long as a unit is under contract it is covered by warranty, im not sure on the specifics though.

4. dtphonehome

dtphonehome Member

Dec 26, 2006
    For the first time I'm seeing the wisdom of simply renting an expensive device (as a cable box) and not buying it outright. It's absurd that an $800 device carries a mere 90 days' warranty. Given the fickle nature of HD based devices, it's way too short.

5. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY

Advertisements

I agree and its the same for other CE devices I have seen $2000 TVs with the same short 90 day warranty. I know that extended service contracts are supposed to be a rip off but it sure makes you wonder.

Thanks,

6. dtphonehome

dtphonehome Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Resolution: I expressed my disgust at their policy in a calm and firm manner, and the tech offered to waive the fee. So they're sending me a new one, and I'll send mine back when I get it (at my expense).

And yes, it does make you wonder about the extended warranty. I personally buy as much as possible on Amex, which automatically extends your warranty for a year beyond the manufacturer's. This benefit has come in handy many times (ie, a broken camcorder, a busted cell phone). If Tivo didn't relent on their fee, my next call would have been to Amex, who would have paid the fee for me.

7. dtphonehome

dtphonehome Member

Dec 26, 2006
    So could the likely HD failure in the S3 have been precipitated by the FreeAgent eSATA drive? Or would that drive have flaked out with or without an external drive plugged in? Any thoughts? If the FAP caused this, I might yank it for a DB35/MX-1 combo.

8. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    HD hardware failure, no. Software issues, maybe. If this is just a software issue caused by using an unsupported feature, don't you think you should be responsible for that $50?

Reboot loop -- Have you tried taking out the CableCards, if you have them installed?

9. dtphonehome

dtphonehome Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Removing cablecards didn't do anything.

And fair enough, if I "caused" the damage, I should be responsible. But I haven't heard about anyone frying their Tivo through a software feature and voiding their warranty.

10. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    So let's get this straight:

1a. You buy the device, knowing that the warranty is 90 days.
    or
    1b. You buy the device, not caring enough about the warranty length to do the 90 seconds worth of research on it.
    2. You use an unsupported hack to increase your storage space.
    3. The device brakes after more than twice the offered warranty period.
    4. Tivo offers to exchange your unit for a nominal fee.

Somehow that offer is not good enough, so much so that you post to an internet message board about it and sweet talk a CSR into waiving the fee for something that you likely caused?

Way to go.

I'm not sure what part of "unsupported hardware hack: use at your own risk" you're not clear on. :rolleyes:

11. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    It's extremely unlikely to cause hardware problem through a software feature, supported or not, but a software problem can result in the same symptom -- reboot loop. TiVo and we are not saying you voided the warranty. $50 is the standard charge for warranty service beyond the initial 90 days.

12. dtphonehome

dtphonehome Member

Dec 26, 2006
    That's not very fair. The warranty is pretty poorly-defined between 91 and 365 days after purchase. Tivo acknowledged outright that this event was covered, but that it would cost $49 "to transfer the service to a new unit and ship you a new one". I ship things all the time, and unless they ship it overnight (they don't, I asked), there's no way they're using that $49 to ship. The "transfer of service" fee is absurd; it takes them perhaps a minute to do that (and if I'm not mistaken, I have to actually activate the unit, so they don't do much at all). I did nothing to void the warranty...I don't believe anyone has had a warranty voided by using an unsupported SOFTWARE (NOT hardware as you said) feature (not that my use actually caused this problem...many hundreds of people here have used that "feature" and if anything went wrong, all they had to do was divorce the drive. No one's Tivo was totally fried.)

I was upset that such a premium device carries such a lousy warranty, especially when it's not solid-state and HDs fail all the time.

13. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    I almost always buy extended warranties through the electronics stores that I buy from. The one exception was my tivo Series 2 with lifetime, as the salesman told me that with lifetime, I would not be able to transfer it to the new box if the old one broke. No idea if this is/was true or false, but it has ran for about 4 years and it is still purring along. When I got my new S3, I decided not to pursue a lifetime transfer, as using the MSD on the S3 was a heck of a good deal and the S2 TTG features are great. So I bought the 4 year extended warranty on the S3 and am worry free. I HATE having to use the phone to get help, I would rather go into the store, get taken care of and know that I am covered.

14. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    It's very clearly defined. Parts are covered, but labor is not. Nothing to do with "transfer of service fee". The CSR just didn't know what to say.

15. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    I am actually somewhat in awe of people who with the raw force of their distorted view of the world can somehow shoehorn little bits of reality into fitting their view. Many great leaders have this ability.

Hopefully he will at least correct his false thread title once he calms down.

16. dtphonehome

dtphonehome Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Thanks for the compliment then. I'll consider myself a great leader now.

Yes, once I have my juice and a little nap :rolleyes:

17. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    The external hard disk is hardware, and it is unsupported.

18. dtphonehome

dtphonehome Member

Dec 26, 2006
    So they're saying: "We realize that the part we placed in this device failed. We'll fix that. But you have to pay for us to fix the part that we acknowledge is broken."?

Sorry, that's a cop-out.

19. dtphonehome

dtphonehome Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Enabling the external disk is software. Plugging in unsupported hardware wouldn't void the warranty. Using an "unsupported" wireless network adaptor won't void the warranty either.

20. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    What's wrong with that? Welcome to reality. If this happens after one year, it won't be just $50.