Tivo w/Fios and MoCa network issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by BrentHarlan, Aug 15, 2019.

1. BrentHarlan

BrentHarlan New Member

Aug 15, 2019
    I am an old Tivo user who stepped away for 5+ years and now is back, looking to take advantage of the newer Tivo boxes over MoCa. Unfortunately, the transition to MoCa has not gone well and I need some help.

To start, I have Verizon Fios with a G1100 router. I currently run multiple Verizon boxes with DVR through the house without issue.

When I plug in my new Tivo Bolt+ 3TB Box and connect over Ethernet or WiFi, the single box works perfectly and connects to Tivo and displays channels fine (cablecard was successfully activated). As soon as I hit the button to change the Tivo to “connect using MoCa”, the WiFi immediately drops out of my Verizon router (while the connection to Tivo and channel display remains intact). It occurs 100% of the time, so much so that I had Verizon send me a new router and it occurred again. Change the setting back to “connect over Ethernet” and the WiFi comes back (after a few minutes). All of this is before I’ve attempted to connect any of my Tivo minis.

Currently, I am connecting the Tivo Bolt directly to my G1100 router via Ethernet and to a preexisting coax cable in the home. I have moved the Bolt to a different location in the house that has Ethernet and coax and the same crash occurs. I have not yet connected a filter but I am under the impression that that isn’t required and am not certain that that would cause this issue.

I’ve attempted to contact Tivo to see if the unit was a dud. They suggested calling Verizon to get certain port unblocked…before I sound like an idiot to Verizon, I’d love some feedback as well as what exactly to say to Verizon if the issue lies on their end. Thank you.

2. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    You are probably creating a loop by making the TiVo a MoCA bridge. With "connect using MoCA" you should unplug the ethernet cable. Later, assuming that fixes the problem, you can use the ethernet port on TiVo to connect to a switch that is *NOT* otherwise connected, to distribute the network to other devices.

krkaufman likes this.
  3. BrentHarlan

BrentHarlan New Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Thank you for your help. The 3TB Bolt connects with ethernet only. I do NOT have a MoCA network established yet (was going to use the Tivo for this) and so I was going to use the built-in bridge capabilities of the Bolt for this. I guess I don't understand your comment that I connect to a switch that is NOT otherwise connected. Are you suggesting that the Bolt cannot be fed with ethernet from the Fios G1100 router and has to come from some other switch? I guess I'm not understanding that piece. I did take the Bolt to the basement and fed the Bolt with ethernet from a network bridge that we have to transmit ethernet throughout the house (not everywhere unfortunately) and the same issue occurred.

4. BrentHarlan

BrentHarlan New Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Well I finally figured it out. Thank you snerd. I think the answer is that by default my Fios setup was already MoCA enabled. When I simply told my Bolt to join an existing network and did NOT using the ethernet cable, the unit connected fine and I was able to get all the minis added fine. As I have learned on this site and with Snerd's help, by creating a second MoCA bridge the network is bound to malfunction which in my case was the Router losing all WiFi capabilities. Sorry for the hassle. Again, lesson learned that in my instance there was not only a built-in MoCA capabilities with the G1100, but it was already active in the house, so no reason to use the built in bridge on the Bolt.

HerronScott and krkaufman like this.
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yep, the G1100 has built-in MoCA bridging, and it was definitely enabled because all the FiOS set-tops rely on the MoCA LAN.

Just curious... When enabling MoCA on the BOLT, earlier, were you selecting “Set up as MoCA Bridge”? I’m suspecting so, as the “Set up as MoCA Client” option would have prompted you to disconnect the Ethernet cable.

Congrats, though.

6. BrentHarlan

BrentHarlan New Member

Aug 15, 2019
    You are correct, krkaufman. I never tried the client option as I was under the impression that the bolt had to be the bridge. I credit you as well in some of your other posts I found today talking about how a second moca bridge can create chaos in a network which it did in mine...immediately and with 100% consistency as soon as I hit the "set up as a moca bridge" button.

krkaufman likes this.
  7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Just be aware that with the BOLT now configured as a MoCA client, if you again physically connect the BOLT via Ethernet to your G1100's LAN (or make any equivalent connection via a network switch that is, itself, connected to the G1100), the BOLT will automatically establish the MoCA/Ethernet bridge connection and crash your network. This is the basis for @snerd 's earlier warning...
    With your BOLT located near(?) your G1100, your BOLT doesn't seem a candidate for this configuration (more info here), and so your BOLT should remain strictly a MoCA or Ethernet client. If at some point you want to experiment with the BOLT as an Ethernet client, you MUST first disable MoCA on the BOLT before connecting the Ethernet cable. You've experienced the results should you not.

edit: p.s.
    Chuckle!

8. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Glad you got it working -- good job figuring out what was going on. I should have explained that Fios was already creating a MoCA network.

Now that it is working, if you want, the Bolt can be used to extend your network simply by connecting a switch to the ethernet port on the Bolt. In that case, the Bolt is once again acting as a MoCA bridge. This works as long as there is not loop.

Since if appears that you already have ethernet in the room with the Bolt, there isn't really any benefit to doing this, but I just wanted to let you know about the option in case you move the Bolt to a room that doesn't have direct access to ethernet.