Tivo w/DVD ignores inserted blank disc

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by dgrrr, Jul 12, 2007.

1. dgrrr

dgrrr New Member

Jan 19, 2006

Advertisements

I insert a blank disc into my series 2 tivo with dvd (Toshiba RS-TX60), then go thru the steps to records shows onto the dvd -- but the Tivo keeps telling me to insert a blank disc.

It's definitely the right kind of discs (dvd-r), in fact, I've already burned half of the DVDs from this spindle on this same TIVO before this problem arose.

I took the blank dvds which the tivo was ignoring and put it into my computer, which is able to detect and burn stuff to the DVDs wtih no problem. (So I know it's not a bad disc)

I've tried different discs from different spindles, same problem.

I tried unplugging the tivo for a while, no help.

(1) Which of the (other) usual Tivo tricks should I try in this case? (e.g., should I bother to reset it?)

(2) Assuming the warranty is expired, can I open the unit and replace the burner drive, as easily as I could in a PC?

(3) Any other ideas?

thanks!

2. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Can you play a DVD? I know on my PC, when DVD burners died, they didn't recognize blank or full media. If yours can't play a DVD (I'd start with one you burned in the Toshiba), then look for a replacement. You can search these forums for options, but I've used a Pioneer DVR-112 in my RS-TX20 without problems.

3. dgrrr

dgrrr New Member

Jan 19, 2006
    Thanks, I'm checking on this. It's actually my mother's TIVO, and I have to pass the info along, and see what she says on her end.
    thanks, will check back in