TIVO vs WOW DVR

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by puppypat, Jul 22, 2011.

1. puppypat

puppypat New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    I have been a TIVO/WOW user for 9 happy years. In Jan I broke my TIVO trying to hook up a new DVD player. Thank God the Geek Squad that came to help this old lady told me that if I was a TIVO user I would never be happy with anything else. I have a digital TV-no HD but still love my new TIVO premier. This week,despite my advice,my neighbor got 2 WOW DVRs. I spent an hour trying to help her use it. There were only 3 useless pp of instructions. What a piece of junk compared to TIVO. Horrible recording options, ugly screens, no Wish List and,as far as we could see no Season Pass Managers. When you search for a title you can only search a TV Guide or by the first letter of the title. WOW users ....don't be tempted.

2. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    What's a WOW DVR?

3. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    I'll bite. Anything other than a TiVo Premiere? :)

4. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
  5. puppypat

puppypat New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    WOW..Wide Open West...my cable provider. I have it for cable, internet and TV. Have had it for over 15 years and I love it but hate their new DVR. Yes, my Premiere reboots often when I turn it on but I still love it.

6. DPF

DPF So tired.....

Mar 20, 2003
    Naper-thrill...
    I have been with WOW for about 9 years as well. Great cable co, have never had their DVR's. Only cable co for which I've added features and my bill was dropped 20% for being a long-time customer. I know...wierd :).

I've always had TiVo so I can't relate. However, my neighbor has both. The difference being the only TiVo is a Series2. He uses the WOW DVR(s?) for HD. He says he likes it fine. Not sure if he's ever used an HD/S3/Premiere. Methinks his ignorance is his bliss :).

P.S. And no need to knock on Premieres. Mine works flawlessly. *Nearly* as snappy as my 140XX S2, uses HD menus, Netflix, Amazon and everything works just fine. I'm just not quite as vocal about everything working as aaronwt is :).

-DPF

7. swinca

swinca Menace to society

Jun 19, 2003
    Jaw-ja y'all
    Yeah, my first thought was "There's a World of Warcraft DVR?" :p

8. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    Using WOW with a Premiere, Premiere XL and a Tivo HD - they're awesome. Aaaaawesome. No copy flag issues, and they don't even pair the cablecards, so you can swap without calling them. <3. ;)

9. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    So why don't you show your neighbor your Tivo?

10. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Sorry to hear that WOW has a new DVR. I was thinking that they'd be a good candidate for a TiVo deal ala RCN. Oh well, overall I'm very happy with them. So far no SDV, or copy protection hassles (knock on wood).

11. puppypat

puppypat New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Mattack, my neighbor is over to my house every day and always was having me look something up on TIVO. She said all the time that she was going to get a TIVO and then didn't. She had to have an adapter put on one of her TVs since WOW is going all digital. The guy she had hook up her adapter talked her into the WOW DVR. She had all kinds of problems with it but still got another one the very next week for her other TV. As someone said early, ignorance is bliss.

12. tmesser

tmesser Member

Apr 12, 2003
    Naperville, IL
    4 years ago, friends of mine with WOW service had a Scientific Atlanta SA8300HD DVR with that awful SARA software. I hope that's not what WOW is still using.

Did it look like this? http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2009-09/sara-the-steampunk-dvr-os/

13. puppypat

puppypat New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Don't know what it is. I do remember having a Scientific box from WOW.

14. Johnwashere

Johnwashere Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    I just went over to a friends house that just got wow and his hd cable box has the real old school 90s guide. It looks horrible. At least wow has good service though. I would defiantly have a tivo dvr if I had wow, I just cant stand wows GUI.

15. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    I know a lot of people wince at the up front cost for Tivo, and even those that weather it, often go monthly not thinking it through completely :)

16. puppypat

puppypat New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Twice (2 TIVOs) I've gone with Lifetime Service and have certainly got my money out of it. The first lasted 9 years! Once again, I love WOW and TIVO.

17. vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    same with my FIOS;)