TIVO Vs. Time Warner - FIGHT

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ghuido, Mar 26, 2012.

1. ghuido

ghuido New Member

May 8, 2007

Advertisements

Maybe TIVO had it with "Wonderful" Time Warner Support for TIVO Devices ...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/26/tivo-sues-twc-motorola-mobility/

<The picture is priceless>

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    guess the war chest being freed up from MS allows Time Warner to get in line. Time Warner would be the biggest US player who tivo hasn't sued or made a deal with.

they now have the 2 main (biggest) satellite providers
    top 4 cable players
    and 2 main (biggest) fiber tv/phone company providers.

Cablevision probably next.... and Tivo would have pay tv providers who service the vast majority of pay tv customers in the US all under agreement or in court.

does cablevision use Moto so they'd get caught up in that route anyway?

3. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Time warping, no wonder the little tivo guy says bong so much.

4. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Any smart legal types know the strategic goal of bringing TWC into the same lawsuit rather than dealing with them separately? That's kinda new.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Advertisements

Maybe Motorola made the boxes specifically for TWC to their specs, making them partners in "crime"?

6. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Not a smart legal type buy I play one on the forums. TiVo has historically sued the MSO rather than the supplier. I think there are probably a variety of reasons for that. They earn the lions share of the repeating revenue from those boxes and they're probably more likely to settle. And, of course, the MSO is ultimately the company that TiVo would like to be doing business with.

TiVo sued Verizon a while back over their Motorola supplied boxes. Motorola responded by suing TiVo in much the same way that MS sued TiVo to defend Uverse. But the whole case with Verizon/Motorola was stayed while the Uverse case was a set to proceed. Once the Uverse case was settled the Verizon/Motorola suit was set to proceed and that was the first opportunity for TiVo to counter-sue Motorola.

They probably added TW in the process because they've not getting anywhere on a deal with TW and it allows them to up the ante against Motorola.

7. Apr 1, 2012 #7 of 11
    Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Gee! I didn't know all those companies--who choose not to deal with TiVo--all stole or used TiVo's patented technology? What a coincidence!

8. Apr 2, 2012 #8 of 11
    nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    We'll see. Dish was found guilty. So far everyone else has chosen to make a deal before things got anywhere close to a verdict.

9. Apr 4, 2012 #9 of 11
    MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    Lets see the 2 biggest phone company TV providers, 3 of 4 largest cable TV providers, and the 2 satellite TV providers made deals or lost to TiVo. Together coverying the majority (by far) of households in the US. (Also interesting to note that microsoft shied away from the fight when given the chance to back away).

I guess time Warner is just smarter than all those others and will prevail...
    ;-)

Honestly I didn't know at all if tivo had a leg to stand on with their patents. But over tthe past few months it sure seems like maybe they in fact did come up with and patent some novel ideas that are tough to built a DVR without.

10. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    I think that had something to do with the personality of the Dish CEO at the time, Charlie Ergen.

11. DTxAg

DTxAg New Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Nice. Time to get some more cash.