tivo VS Dishnetwork DVR

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by watchntv, Jun 6, 2011.

1. watchntv

watchntv New Member

Jun 6, 2011
    I saw this old thread

and I wanted help with my tivo premiere and dish network

how can I use my tivo and not the dish network dvr, which is just horrid to use since i am so used to tivo

I can easily hook up my tivo, I have a HDMI cord, but I have no idea how to handle the tivo to the satellite imput or what to do.

I have a series 4 tivo, not a series 2 as the mentioned thread .mentions

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Sorry. There is no way the Series 3 or Series 4(Premiere) will work with satellite(Dish or DirecTv).

The early units, Series 1 and 2, could be set up to work with satellite, but not Series 3 and 4.

3. watchntv

watchntv New Member

Jun 6, 2011
    dang it, so Im gonna return my Series4 and get out my series 2, I dont know it if has 1 or 2 tuners, it is being repaired right now....
    so when I get this hooked up to dish, as per this page
    support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/89/related/1

will it be just the usual tivo interface? I am using the dish networkd dvr right now and it is just horrible

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    On the Dual Tuner Series 2 Tivo, the Tivo Service Number begins with 649. All other Series 2 are single tuners.

5. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Which Dish DVR do you have? The buggy 922? The really old and phasing out 50X or 510. The 50X/510 series were not so great, but the current ViP's, IMHO and of quite a few others who do like TiVo as well, are actually better overall than any of the TiVo's. The only superior feature the TiVo has is its sophisticated search. It is easily the best out there. But for every other feature, the Dish ViP's are better. I have S3 648 OLED that is a beautifully designed Media Digital Recorder, still the Cadillac of TiVos. Yes, the the HD and HDXL and Premier are newer, but they are like the Chevy to the older S3 648 Cadillac. My S3 has been supremely solid and a good product still such that the Premiere has noting to offer me of any great value.

Meanwhile, I have 4 Dish ViP DVR's (722 & 722K) and they are far from awful as they do run circles around any TiVo. I've used the TiVo when it was first available back 1999 and TiVo was far and away the most sophisticated, hands-down best DVR for many years, until Dish introduced the ViP series. TiVo should have kept up with times better than it has. It is sad to have to see them no longer offer a premium model like the S3 648.